First Year Experience Grants for 2016
We encourage UTS Coordinators of first and second year subjects, their teaching teams and academic advisors to consider submitting an application for a FYE grant for 2016. The design of the project is to utilise at least one First Year Curriculum Principle from Transition Pedagogy (link below) to support Low SES students in your subjects.
This year, we are particular interested in having applications from second year subjects where transitioning students enter UTS from pathway programs such as TAFE.
FYE grant applications (use the template) to be sent to Kathy.Egea@uts.edu.au (UTS FYE coordinator) by Tuesday 8th December, 10am.
Help and Support
(1) a university wide Information session on applying for these grants will held.
Details : 9th November, 1-2pm, CB01:27:14
(note: faculties may also be holding their own information session - please contact your FYTE coordinator for this information)
(2) Handouts for Information Session include the following
- Information session slides
- Transition Pedagogy - First Year Curriculum Principles (Kift 2009);
- Transition Checklist for First Year Teachers
- FYE grant guidelines and Application form as given above;
- Examplars from 2015 examplar list below;
- Successful Student Transition Guidelines (UTS publication).
- Resources (from lowses.edu.au) to assist in the teaching and support of students from low socioeconomic backgrounds (OLT grant - Delvin, Kift, Nelson and Smith 2012)
(3) Exemplars from 2015 FYE grant applications that have been successfully implemented in 2015:
- DAB Samantha Donnelly and Jo Kinniburgh: Strategies for retention and success of TAFE graduates in architecture core first year subjects
- FEIT Terry Brown: Addressing student diversity in first year mechanical and mechatronics engineering through the design and development of a wider range of online tutorials and quizzes
- Health Sue Dean: Supporting students as they transition to tertiary study through mindfulness in compassionate pedagogy
- Science: Scott Chadwick: Establishing Professional Identify in First Year Science
- Science: Mac De la Hunty: The introduction of an “online pre-lab” for first year chemistry subjects
- Science: Yvonne Davila:
- Science: Megan Phillips: Engaging and inspiring first-year Environmental Science students through hands-on learning: Introducing a field trip component to The Biosphere
(Permission has been obtained from the grant holders to publish their applications)
(4) Academic Support
Please contact your Faculty First Year Transition Experience Coordinator to discuss your project ideas and faculty priority. Contact Kathy for process and eligibility queries.
- FASS Vicki Bamford x2750 Vicki.Bamford@uts.edu.au
- DAB Joanne Kinniburgh x8849 Joanne.Kinniburgh@uts.edu.au
- Health Sue Dean x4812 Suzanne.Dean@uts.edu.au
- Law Francis Johns x3251 Francis.Johns@uts.edu.au
- FEIT Sally Inchbold x2392 Sally.Inchbold@uts.edu.au
- Business Jon Tyler x3629 Jon.Tyler@uts.edu.au
- Science Yvonne Davila x1749 Yvonne.Davila@uts.edu.au ; Megan Phillips x8012: megan.Phillips@uts.edu.au
IML academics, including those from the Academic Language and Learning Group, are keen to support you in this process.