First Year Experience Grants for 2018
First Year Experience Grants Round (open 6 February 2018)
Coordinators of first year subjects and second year transition subjects taken by students coming from pathways are invited to apply for amounts of up to $4,000 for projects aimed at implementing transition pedagogies in the curriculum. Team applications involving coordinators, teaching teams, tutors, demonstrators and academic support professionals are encouraged.
FYE grants have been successful in addressing the needs of first year students from low socioeconomic status groups and indigenous students within a framework designed to improve transition, success and retention for all students. In 2018, we are encouraging grant projects in either first or second year subjects that have commencing students coming into the subject. The aim is to introduce practices that support success and retention for both commencing students transitioning from all entry pathways, eg school, TAFE, higher education institutions, Insearch and where applicable continuing students transitioning from first to second year.
FYE grant applications (use the template + evaluation plan) to be sent to Kathy.Egea@uts.edu.au (UTS FYE coordinator) by 10.00 am, Monday 19 February 2018.
Help and Support
(1) Information alternative sessions on hints and tips for applying for these grants (RSVP to Kathy.Egea@uts.edu.au)
- Thursday 8 February, 11-12 pm, IML CB01.27.014
- Friday 9 February, 9-10 am, LX.Lab CB06.04.020
(note: faculties may also be holding their own information session - please contact your FYTE coordinator for this information)
- Transition Pedagogy - First Year Curriculum Principles (Kift 2009);
- Transition Checklist for First Year Teachers
- Successful Student Transition Guidelines (UTS publication).
- Resources (from lowses.edu.au) to assist in the teaching and support of students from low socioeconomic backgrounds (OLT grant - Delvin, Kift, Nelson and Smith 2012)
- Exemplars from 2017 FYE grant applications that have been successfully implemented in 2017:
(3) Support for writing your applications or discussing your ideas
- Faculty First Year Transition Experience Coordinators:
FASS Tim Laurie x3174 Timothy.Laurie@uts.edu.au
DAB Samantha Donnelly* x8958 Samantha.Donnelly@uts.edu.au
Health Samantha Jakimowicz x5234 Samantha.Jakimowicz@uts.edu.au
Health Jacqui Pich x5124 Jacqueline.Pich@uts.edu.au
Law Francis Johns* x3251 Francis.Johns@uts.edu.au
FEIT Sam Ferguson* x4682 Sam.Ferguson@uts.edu.au
FEIT Wayne Brookes* x1872 Wayne.Brookes@email@example.com
TDI Jacqueline Melvold* x4659 Jacqueline.Melvold@uts.edu.au
TDI Susanne Pratt x4657 Susanne.Pratt@uts.edu.au
Business Jon Tyler* x3629 Jonanthan.Tyler@uts.edu.au
Business Amanda White* x3637 Amanda.White@uts.edu.au
Science Renee Dowse x8346 Renee.Dowse@uts.edu.au
Science Bronwyn O’Brien x4104 Bronwyn.Obrien@uts.edu.au
Note: FYTE coordinators that have been involved in previous FYE grants are indicated by asterisk next to their name.