There are many sustainability events at UTS, both large and small, some regular and others one-off.
- O-Day – drop by the UTS Green stall during orientation week at the beginning of each academic session for loads of information, competitions and more.
- Earth Hour is in March and at UTS we're run energy saving activities across the campus.
- Green Week is our big sustainability event of the year, held in May. Due to Covid 19 the event in 2020 has been postponed to later in the year.
- Fair Trade Fortnight is in August and sees stalls, morning teas and free samples.
- Green Hero Awards – Students and staff can nominate their peers for an award. Nominations open early May with winners announced on World Environment Day 5 June.
- Green Building Week organised by the Green Building Council of Australia in September. UTS participates with tours, talks, etc.
- Ride to UTS Day in October is always a big event with lots of fun, competitions, prizes, free breakfast and more.
- National Recycling Week focuses on current recycling initiatives.
- Walk to UTS Day this year is Friday 4th October. Staff and students are encouraged to walk to campus, either alone or if you are feeling social join one of the following groups.
There is no spoken word.
The video shows visuals of the annual Walk to UTS Day event in 2017.
Walkers arrive in small groups, sign-in at the reception desk in the foyer of building 1, help themselves to breakfast, and socialise in small groups.
Up to date information on individual events is available on Facebook.
Other periodic events
Stalls are held on a regular basis, usually to promote specific issues such as car pooling, threatened species, e-waste, etc.
- Cloths swaps are a great way to exchange something you’ve grown tired of. Organised periodically by the Students’ Association.
- Staff induction – we always have a stall and sustainability information available for new staff, sessions held each quarter.
To stay in touch with upcoming events subscribe to UTS Green News.
Green Week is held in late May or early June each year. A full week of events, competitions, displays and more organised in collaboration with ActivateUTS, TAFE NSW Sydney Institute, Ultimo College and ABC Ultimo with events across the Ultimo precinct. Regular annual events include:
- Photo competition with great prizes.
- Green hero award with great prizes
- Free films and talks
- Electric wheels expo
- Green debate
- Cloths swap, stalls, dinner, and more
Running your own event? See our guides for making your event sustainable.