Depending on your circumstances, if you wish to change from one course at UTS to another course at UTS, you may be eligible to apply for an internal course transfer.There are two ways to do this. You may be able to:
- transfer from your current UTS course to another UTS course for the purpose of graduating
- transfer from your current UTS course to another UTS course to continue your studies in the new course.
Internal course transfer - graduating
If you wish to transfer courses in order to graduate and you are:
- a double/combined award student who wishes to transfer to a single award course to allow you to graduate from this course whilst not continuing with the other course, for example transferring from a B Laws /B Int Studies to B Laws (graduating) and not continuing with B Int Studies
- a double award student wishing graduate from one course and continue in the other, to split the awards *
- wanting to articulate 'down' to a lower level award to graduate, for example from a Masters to Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate
- a single award student transferring to another closely related single award program, where they qualify immediately in the new course for graduation, for example a B Sc (Applied Physics) to B Sc (graduating)
you can apply for an internal course transfer (graduating) (PDF, 81kB).
* Note: Graduation from the science component of a combined degree is not possible prior to completion of all requirements of the combined degree. Graduation from the non-science degree is possible but students must then complete all requirements for the stand-alone single science degree. Full details are available in the relevant combined course description in the Handbook.
If you are a double degree Business student, you can find additional information about internal course transfer (graduating) for Faculty of Business combined degrees in the Business Handbook.
Internal course transfer - continuing
Internal course transfer-continuing applications for the 2020 Spring session will be accepted from 14 April - 19 June 2020.
Applications can be made if you meet the course admissions criteria and you are:
- an undergraduate student, in a combined degree, wishing to transfer to one of the constituent single degrees;
- an undergraduate student wishing to add international studies to your current degree (not available for Spring session);
- an international undergraduate student transferring to any other undergraduate course;
- a postgraduate coursework student transferring to any other postgraduate coursework degree;
- an undergraduate student transferring from the Diploma in Innovation to a combined degree with the Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation.
If you don't meet one of these criteria you need to apply for admission in the normal manner.
You can apply for an internal course transfer through My Student Admin.
You will be required to provide a supporting statement (no more than 300 words) with your application. It is recommended that you prepare your statement (on Microsoft word or similar) before beginning your application to ensure that you do not lose your supporting statement due to an application timeout.
If you would like to provide supporting information or document (optional), you may submit them via Ask UTS before the application closing date. You should specify in your enquiry that it is for your Internal Course Transfer – Continuing application.
You will receive an email in your UTS Webmail account acknowledging your application, and providing details of the rest of the application process, including dates and deadlines.
If you have received an offer through your Internal Course Transfer - Continuing application, please do not lodge a course withdrawal application for your old course. After the census date of the first session in your new course, UTS will automatically withdraw you from the old course.
Faculty specific requirements for internal course transfer
Some faculties have special guidelines regarding internal course transfer:
- UTS Business: undergraduate
- UTS Communication
- UTS FEIT
- UTS Law: undergraduate
- UTS Law: postgraduate
- UTS Science: Master of Science (Honours) and Master of Philosophy courses
Results of application
The result of your application will be emailed to UTS Webmail account.
Accepting your offer
If you have been emailed an offer, you can accept your offer through My Student Admin.
Once you accept an internal course transfer offer:
- you are required to submit a Commonwealth assistance form for your new course
- you will be withdrawn from your course shortly after census date, subject to all pending results being finalised
- any subject enrolment from your old course will be transferred to your new course (where applicable). Once your subject enrolment has been transferred to the new course, you can then alter your enrolment, by adding or withdrawing subjects. See How to Enrol for more information on enrolling in subjects.
Recognition of prior learning
Students may be entitled to have subjects automatically credited to their new course. Internal course transfer recognition of prior learning will automatically be recognised where the subject number and version number are identical in each course. In such cases, the subject grade will be recorded for the course you have transferred to. Subjects automatically credited to your new course through Internal Course Transfer will be included in the grade point average (GPA) calculation for the course you have transferred to.
In all other cases, recognition of prior learning is not automatic and an application for recognition of prior learning must be made. For more information see UTS Recognition of prior learning policies.
Student and related rules:
7.7 Course transfer