UTS site search

Classes and assessment

Managing your study

Attendance and study load

For any subject that you study at UTS, one or more attendance modes may be available, depending on teaching session and campus location. Attendance modes include:

  • Standard attendance mode: involves attendance at weekly, on-campus classes, over an 11 week teaching session. Preparation weeks, Stuvac and assessment weeks will be in addition to this 11 week teaching session. For more information on dates, see the UTS Handbook.
  • Block mode: involves an intensive period of study, in classes scheduled over one or more weeks of the teaching period.
  • Distance (off-campus) mode: students are provided with materials to work through in their own time, supported by online and print materials and possibly one or two face-to-face sessions.
  • Offshore mode: subjects are offered at a campus outside of Australia.

Students undertaking a master's degree (research) or doctoral degree are, in general, not required to attend classes. However, regular contact is maintained with the student's supervisor(s) throughout enrolment.

On-campus classes may be timetabled between 8am and 9pm. Not all subjects are available in the evenings, and evening classes can start as early as 5pm. Please be aware thar your subjects may have classes scheduled during the day or in the evening, regardless of your part-time or full-time study load. You can find out the attendance mode, and typical days and times for a subject on the UTS timetable website.

Regular class attendance is a requirement of the University. It is your responsibility as a student to attend lectures, tutorials, seminars and laboratory session, and to carry out all assignment and examination work for the subjects in which you are enrolled. Your subject outline will include further details of specific attendance requirements. Students should ensure that they refer back to the subject outline (available on UTS Online) throughout the teaching session. 

International students may enrol in distance subjects, subject to faculty approval. However, students studying on student visas must enrol in at least one on-campus subject each session, and can study a maximum of 25% of their total course by distance. For more informaion, please refer to our Information for International students pages on course load requirements at UTS.

Subject assessment

During your time at UTS, you may be required to complete a number of different types of assessment for each subject.

If you miss an assessment, or are unable to hand an assessment in on time, you may be eligible to apply for special consideration

For further information, please see Subject Assessments.

UTS Coursework

Please refer to our Coursework introduction page for more information on Grading, class sizes and system of coursework.

Using UTS Online

UTS Online is an online tool used by students and academics for sharing, storing and accessing subject materials, including subject outlines, assessment guidelines & dates and important subject information.

You can also use UTS Online to contact members of your class or your subject coordinator.

Not all subjects use UTS online, so you will need to confer with your subject coordinator to see whether they will be using it for the session in which you are enrolled.

UTS Online is not used for enrolment or class allocation

Getting help

For course and subject assistance related to: 

  • academic issues and questions, speak with your lecturer or tutor initially, then subject or course coordinators.  The most appropriate contacts will be in the Subject outline, which can be found on UTS Online.
  • administrative issues and questions related to course/subject and to find out who the relevant course/subject coordinator is, talk to someone in the relevant Student Centre.

Special circumstances: Having trouble making an assignment deadline? Read up on special consideration conditions at UTS.

Students seeking special consideration may also benefit from a session with a counsellor. UTS Counselling can assist with a wide range of personal, relationship, psychological, study and administrative difficulties.

If you are experiencing difficulty as a result of an ongoing illness or disability, you should seek assistance from the UTS Special Needs Service. The Special Needs Service work with a range of staff across the university to address your needs, including Academic Liaison Officers.

Academic liaison officers (ALOs) are academic staff in each Faculty who assist two groups of students:

  • with disabilities and ongoing illnesses;
  • who have difficulties in their studies because of their family commitments (e.g. being a primary carer for small children or a family member with a disability).
  • who gained entry through inpUTS Educational Access Scheme or Special Admissions.

Responsible Academic Officers are senior academics in each Faculty who oversee assessment procedures and resolve conflicts relating to assessment. They are also responsible for the appointment of Academic Liaison Officers and for resolving any conflicts between ALOs and other academic staff in relation to assessment arrangements for students with disabilities.

Academic advisers provide advice to assist students who are on:

  • academic caution
  • early intervention

Results and feedback: If you have a concern about your grades, check out out our page on appeals and complaints.

For advice on student misconduct and appeals, we strongly recommend that you seek advice from the Student Misconduct and Appeals Team.

Studying safely

As with any workplace or activity, there are potential health and safety risks. Often you will be putting in long hours in front of a computer, you may be returning from uni late via deserted streets, working with potentially hazardous substances in labs, or be exposed to risks while doing fieldwork or internships. Understand possible risks and find out what UTS services exist to help with studying safely.

Other helpful links

  • For all enquiries related to IT and general computing assistance, please contact IT Support.
  • If you are experiencing financial difficulty, you can seek support through UTS Financial assistance.
  • UTS HELPS offer academic and professional language development programs for students looking for further assistance with class assessments, academic writing, and English speaking practice.
  • The Students' Association employs Education Caseworkers who can help you if you have problems with your course, assessments, or if you have a complaint.
  • In some cases, you may need to have something signed by a JP or witness. You can find a Justice of the Peace on the NSW government website.
  • For more information on where to get help, including emergency contacts and security, please see the list of UTS Contacts.