We believe in giving our research, technologies and innovations the best possible chance to make an impact on society and the economy.
To make this happen, we know it’s important that UTS is flexible, straightforward and professional when collaborating with organisations on research projects. We have developed simple and open intellectual property (IP) policies to ensure UTS is easy to deal with and our IP has the best chance of success in the ‘real’ world.
The process of commercialisation within universities, or taking technologies to the market, is known as ‘technology transfer’ and plays an important role in the government's innovation agenda. Our Commercialisation Team consists of experienced professionals from industry who work closely with organisations in the private, public and not-for-profit sector to deliver our research, technologies and innovations. With access to a wide network of funders, investors and entrepreneurs, the team has established many licensing agreements, research collaborations and spin-out companies.
To learn how our research, product, licensing and commercialisation opportunities can benefit your organisation, please email our Commercialisation Team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our IP principles
As a member of the Australian Technology Network of Universities (ATN), we ascribe to the following IP principles:
- We actively encourage students and staff to undertake research that is relevant to challenges faced by society and in partnership with industry, government and community groups.
- As guided by our industry partners, we encourage them to own and take the lead in commercialisation of intellectual property generated from industry-funded research when they are best placed to do so.
- We support access to the IP based on fair and equitable terms, in a timely manner.
- Our interactions with industry will be governed by transparent, flexible and user-friendly system that supports and encourages engagement using a range of IP models.
- As an ATN university, we will make public our Intellectual Property Policies and Standard Commercial Agreement templates, to provide a simple and transparent framework.
- We actively encourage and promote an entrepreneurial culture for our staff and students. This includes a system of support to facilitate the creation of new ventures where our staff and students are appropriately involved.
- All partnerships and resultant commercial agreements will be developed and negotiated in a prompt manner and in keeping with these principles.