Orientation and Session Start
Prior to the commencement of the teaching period, make sure you are aware of what is expected of you during Orientation and/or Session Start.
Before week 1 you need to login to UTSOnline (Blackboard) (most undergraduate courses and some postgraduate courses) or Canvas (some undergraduate courses and most postgraduate courses) to find out what activities you need to do in week 1. Your Subject Outline will detail your week 1 activities. You may be required to attend UTS for activities such as:
- diagnostic testing
- lab orientations
- academic skills workshops
- induction activities at the course / discipline level.
You will need to complete any work assigned including:
- completing readings or watching videos
- online tasks
- diagnostic quizzes and activities to develop your skills.
These activities are mandatory and may be assessed in week 2.
Don’t forget to check:
- your UTS webmail account regularly for important information from your faculty or subject coordinators. This is the email account that UTS will use to contact you over the year, and is the official channel of communication between the University and yourself. We recommend you check this regularly before and during the session to ensure you’re aware of any important information that UTS or your lecturers might need to contact you about.
- UTS Current Students for important information in the "Noticeboard" and "What's happening at UTS" sections. Bookmark this page to access updates throughout the year.
Orientation for new students
Orientation is the series of events run on campus for new students. During Orientation you will become acquainted with the UTS campus and learn important things that will assist you to be a successful student at UTS.
All new students are expected to attend on-campus activities during Orientation. Orientation is designed to help you get the best out of your student experience by providing you with information about UTS support services, academic and professional development, clubs and activities, your faculty, and discovering your new campus. New students, please register now.
If you are commencing your study at UTS as an international student, you must attend Orientation to obtain important information regarding your enrolment and visa requirements.
Dates for Orientation
Autumn: Monday 17 February to Friday 6 March 2020
Calendar B Autumn*: Monday 17 February to Friday 21 February 2020
Spring: Monday 27 July to Friday 31 July 2020
Calendar B Spring*: Monday 20 July to Friday 24 July 2020
Summer: Monday 16 to Friday 20 November 2020
* Calendar B operates for many Graduate School of Health and Teacher Education courses. You can check if your course will operate on Calendar B, by visiting the course listing page in the UTS Handbook.
Locating Subject Outlines
Subject outlines, including those for distance and block mode subjects, will be available on UTSOnline (Blackboard) (for most undergraduate courses and some postgraduate courses) or Canvas (for some undergraduate courses and most potsgraduate courses) at the start of Orientation.
If you are enrolled in short session subjects, your subject outline will be made available one week prior to the start of face to face classes.
If you have thoroughly checked UTSOnline and Canvas for your subject outline and cannot see it, please report it to the Student Centre, who will address the issue on your behalf.