What is a virus?
Viruses are software programs that are designed to spread from one device to another, generally with the aim of performing some type of malicious activity.
What to do if you think your computer has a virus
- Stop working on it immediately
- Disconnect it from the network
- Contact the IT Support Centre on 9514 2222
A virus might:
- Collect your personal or financial information
- Corrupt or delete data on your device
- Log all your keystrokes on the keyboard
- Use your email account to send spam emails
- Use your device for fraudulent activity
- Display unwanted advertising
How do they spread?
- By opening infected attachments or clicking links in emails and instant messaging platforms
- By downloading infected files from the internet
- As the result of a 'drive by' infection - where you can be infected simply by visiting a website that has been infected by hackers
- The virus itself may search a network for other devices that are not up-to-date and are therefore vulnerable to attack.
How do you avoid getting a virus?
- Install antivirus software (opens an external site) on your device and make sure it checks at least daily for updates
- Keep your device current with the latest operating system and application updates
- Be careful with digital media like USBs, phones and DVDs
- Browse safely
- Stay informed about recent threats