UTS Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement sets out how your personal information will be collected, managed and protected in relation to recruitment opportunities and activities, including appointment, and onboarding processes where applicable.
If you are successful in securing a position at UTS, personal information collected during the recruitment process will form part of your employment record. This information will be managed in accordance with relevant UTS Employee Records Guidelines. These guidelines include additional information about how information is collected, used, disclosed, and managed in relation to employees.
Collecting your personal information
Registration with the UTS for recruitment services is facilitated through the iRecruitment System. Registration enables you to search for and apply for employment at UTS. Personal information will be requested and collected at registration and as part of the recruitment processes.
Personal information that we collect may include your name, contact details, career history, qualifications, skills, training, working with children checks if relevant, and psychometric profiles. Information will also be collected during interview processes.
UTS relies on the personal information it collects from you to be complete, up to date, accurate and truthful. If you provide any false or misleading information UTS may disqualify your application and/or if appointed, terminate your employment without notice.
We may also collect information from other parties where relevant, including:
- licensing authorities.
- appointed selection panel and hiring managers. In some cases, a recruitment activity may require meeting with, or providing a presentation to, a selected group of key staff. The input of those staff may also be considered as part of the recruitment process. Where this may be required, candidates will be informed as part of the recruitment processes.
- internet or social media searches, including job search or professional networking websites (e.g. LinkedIn, etc.) where you may have made data about yourself publicly available.
- previous employers.
- recruiters, staffing companies, or websites who may introduce or direct you to UTS.
- police and agencies who provide background checks where applicable. UTS may also contract with a third party to perform a pre-employment background screening. The content of background check information may include information gathered from publicly available sources, your former employers or colleagues, educational institutions you have attended, credit reporting agencies, and criminal records databases.
- CV databases.
- companies providing video interviewing and interview assessment services.
- testing providers.
If we are unable to collect the personal information we require this may limit UTS's ability to provide you with relevant information about job opportunities, recruitment activities, answer your queries, or process your employment application.
Where you provide details of referees, it is your responsibility to ensure that these persons are aware that you have forwarded their details and have consented for you to do so.
You may be requested to provide more detailed personal information on a voluntary basis to assist UTS provide support and services to disadvantaged equity groups and create equity candidate pools. Your express consent to collect and use such types of personal information will be sought where and when appropriate and the provision of this additional information is not mandatory.
Using your personal information
Your personal information will be used:
- to administer and manage your registration into the university’s recruitment system.
- to communicate with you about your application to work at UTS.
- to communicate with you more generally about working at UTS, any employment searches and/or queries you may have regarding recruitment processes. This includes communicating with you about future employment opportunities if you have consented to remain in contact.
- to manage and assess your application, interview, and suitability for employment.
- for quality improvement, planning, and reporting activities in relation to recruitment, appointment, and onboarding processes where relevant. This may including data analytics that can improve the university’s recruitment processes and better understand our applicants to support how the university may attract the best candidates.
- to review, manage or investigate, where relevant and required, any disciplinary or misconduct matters, alleged fraud or breach of law, to deal with any complaints, reviews, or investigations, or pending or actual litigation.
Sourcing candidates for future employment opportunities
For candidates already registered in the university’s iRecruitment System:
To enhance your employment seeking activities with UTS, the university may search your personal information and notify you about future employment opportunities at UTS. UTS may also maintain the accuracy and currency of the details overtime when you update your information directly, or by updating your personal information from publicly available sources, such as positions held, skills and collaborative networks.
If you wish to have your application searchable and kept up to date for this purpose, you can consent to this when you register in the iRecuitment System. You may edit your settings to withdraw your consent at any time through your system profile. To update your consent, go to My Account > Preferences. Changes in consent may take up to 10 working days to come into effect.
Candidates not registered in the university’s iRecruitment System:
To ensure UTS attracts the best candidates, UTS may consider and use publically available information and contact individuals directly who may be considered suitable for a recruitment activity, but who are not currently registered with UTS. This privacy statement will apply to the subsequent collection and management of any information collected by UTS as a result of this contact.
Disclosing your personal information
UTS may provide personal information where relevant, to contracted third parties in order to facilitate recruitment processes. This may include:
- recruitment agencies and Executive Search firms
- background checking agencies
- licensing authorities and educational institutions in order to verify information about you
- psychological profiling and background screening services.
- providers of relevant information systems and services.
UTS uses contracted third parties to assist UTS in providing systems and services that are relevant to the recruitment and appointment of staff. UTS requires that these organisations have compliant privacy procedures in place and are only allowed to use your personal information to assist UTS in undertaking its recruitment activities. In the course of supporting UTS recruitment activities, some of our contracted third parties may hold your personal information, or access it from, locations outside New South Wales or overseas. UTS requires that your information remains protected and secure at all times in accordance with agreed privacy procedures.
If required, information may be disclosed if relevant and required, in dealing managing, reviewing or investigating, disciplinary or misconduct matters, alleged fraud or breach of law, to deal with any complaints, reviews, or investigations, or pending or actual litigation.
Otherwise, UTS will not disclose your personal information without your consent, except where required or authorised by law.
Managing your personal information
Any personal information held by UTS will be treated in the strictest confidence. UTS is committed to taking all reasonable steps in order to protect your privacy and personal information from misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Access to your information is restricted to authorised UTS personnel and contracted third parties on a need to know basis.
For your convenience, UTS may retain your personal information and application history to facilitate your future recruitment activities with UTS. Your information will be retained in accordance with UTS retention procedures and legislated obligations, and to support opportunities for employment, collaboration or engagement with UTS. If you request your personal information be removed from UTS records, we will ensure reasonable steps are taken to promptly and securely dispose of your personal information, subject to any legal obligations UTS may have in relation to retaining specific types of information. Any such requests need to be directed to the contact details below.
Accessing, correcting, and updating your information
You may access, review, correct, update, change or delete certain information about you on the UTS iRecruitment System at any time.
If you wish to access, correct or delete information held about you, and are unable to do so via the iRecruitment System, refer your requests to the contact details below. Note that access may not be provided if the release of information may unreasonably impact upon the privacy of other individuals or may be a breach of confidence.
You can contact the Human Resources Unit at UTS in relation to this privacy statement or make a request by writing to the Director, Human Resources Unit, UTS, PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007, or by contacting the recruitment team at email@example.com.
Further information about privacy at UTS, including how to make a complaint or how to contact the UTS Privacy Officer, go to https://www.uts.edu.au/about-uts/uts-governance/privacy