Preparing to graduate
As an international student, there’s a lot to think about in your final session - from graduating, to settling back in and making the most of your degree when you return home.
Find all the information and advice you need about:
- your eligibility to graduate and graduation ceremonies, on the UTS Graduation site
- international graduation ceremonies - official UTS Graduation ceremonies held in Shanghai and Hong Kong
- attending an International Students’ Farewell Ceremony before you return home
- returning home - learn more about our Returning Home: Strategies for Success seminar held in Autumn and Spring sessions.
International Students' Farewell Ceremony
The UTS International Students' Farewell Ceremony is an opportunity for you to celebrate the completion of your studies at UTS with fellow international students, and family and friends.
It is a formal event, held in Autumn and Spring sessions for departing international students who are unable to remain in Australia until their official graduation ceremony. The ceremony includes an academic procession. Students wear academic dress, receive a certificate of participation and are presented to the representative of the Vice-Chancellor and President.
Note: this is not an official graduation ceremony and you won’t receive your testamur or formal results at this event. If you are unable to attend your UTS graduation ceremony, your testamur will be sent to you after the official graduation ceremonies take place later in the year.
For more information about attending a UTS graduation ceremony in Australia or overseas, visit the UTS Graduation site.
Who can attend?
- International students who are due to complete their studies at the end of session
- Friends and family of international students
Register and pay to attend the ceremony in three quick steps!
Complete the online registration form
You must register to attend the farewell ceremony. Registrations for Spring session 2018 close on Monday 12 November 2018.
Complete the payment form to hire your academic dress (A$100).
All attendees must wear academic dress to this event. Academic dress is available for hire and must be paid for before registration closes.
Attend the ceremony.
Date: Friday 16 November 2018
Time: 3pm. Students are required to arrive from 1pm for registration. Students who arrive after 2.45pm will not be admitted.
Location: Great Hall, Level 5, Building 1
- There is an opportunity for one departing student to address the farewell ceremony, giving a brief (5 minute) speech reflecting on their experiences at UTS. If you are interested in being the student speaker at your ceremony, please contact UTS International.
- A photographer will be available on the day for students wishing to purchase formal photographs.
- UTS memorabilia can be bought after the event, and UTS Alumni staff will be available to talk with students who would like to continue their relationship with UTS after graduation.
- UTS International staff will also be taking photographs for use in UTS publications and promotional materials. Please advise UTS International staff if you do not wish for your photograph to be used for these purposes.
- If you are planning to attend the Farewell Ceremony, you must complete the online registration form and pay for your academic dress hire by Monday 12 November 2018.
When you register for the farewell ceremony, you will also be asked if you would like to attend the Returning Home: Strategies for Success seminar.
Returning home: strategies for success
The Returning Home: Strategies for Success workshop is for all UTS International Students who will soon be returning to their home country. The aim of the workshop is to prepare you for adjusting back into your home country after studying in Australia.
- Strategies for career preparation after studying in Australia
- Addressing potential adjustment issues you may experience when you go home and developing strategies to deal with them
- Reflecting on your personal achievements from your experience of studying in Australia.
Refreshments will be provided during the workshop.
As a UTS graduate, you can join UTS: Alumni, giving you access to a wide range of benefits and special offers. UTS Alumni Networks offer opportunities for social and professional networking in Australia and internationally.
You can stay involved by attending Alumni Events.
If you are interested in further study, search for Courses at UTS.