Professor Kate McGrath, BSc(Hons) (UC), PhD (ANU), PGDipComFinance (Otago), FNZIC
The UTS Research Strategy 2016–2020 is an ambitious plan to support the university’s growing national and international reputation as a leading university of technology. As Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research), Professor Kate McGrath is responsible for research policy development and general oversight of UTS's research activities, postgraduate education, industry liaison, intellectual property and commercialisation.
Key responsibilities include:
- developing and implementing a research strategy that fulfils UTS's vision to be a world-leading university of technology; in particular, overseeing UTS's strategic research investments and research performance, and ensuring research excellence through the support of research and academic staff
- promoting research collaboration with industry and government, and building strong linkages in the research and innovation sector nationally and internationally
- enhancing the quality of UTS postgraduate research education, and building a vibrant research community.
Educated in New Zealand and Australia, Kate is the chair of numerous startup companies and national committees. She has taught extensively, developed curricula and new degrees, supervised students, published 80 research papers, and worked to help primary school and early childhood teachers in New Zealand to introduce STEM into their classrooms.
Following a BSc (Honours) in Chemistry from the University of Canterbury, Kate completed her PhD at ANU before taking up a postdoctoral position with the Université de Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris. She undertook two years as a research fellow at Princeton before returning to New Zealand as a researcher and academic at the University of Otago. In 2004, Kate joined Victoria University of Wellington. In 2011 she was appointed director of a New Zealand Centre of Research Excellence, the MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology.
Kate was the Vice-Provost (Research) at the Victoria University of Wellington for the three years prior to joining UTS in 2018.
- Institute for Public Policy and Governance (IPPG)
- Institute for Sustainable Futures (ISF)
- Research and Innovation Office
- Graduate Research School
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
tel: +61 2 9514 1990