Research at the Faculty of Engineering and IT is renowned for quality and industry-focus. As part of the lively and rigorous research culture at UTS, our priority is to ensure that the work we do has a transformative impact in society and industry.
Our researchers are pioneering innovative, real-world solutions. They're recognised leaders in their fields, responsible for delivering better, cost-effective outcomes to national and international challenges. Over the last five years, the Faculty has received close to 60 Australian Research Council projects and attracted a total research funding in excess of $80 million.
Explore our research activities and imagine the possibilities as we work with people like you for a better future.
Our research priorities are broadly aligned with our university-level centres and faculty centres.
- Advanced Analytics Institute: big data, data sciences and data analytics
- Centre for Artificial Intelligence: computational intelligence, business intelligence, computer vision, data science, machine learning, brain computer interface, social robotics and information systems.
- Centre for Autonomous Systems: field robotics sensing, perception and control; human-centred robotiocs.
- Centre for Health Technologies: medical devices, translational biotherapeutics and transcriptome research.
- Global Big Data Technology Centre: international centre of excellence, technologies for big data science, analytics and communications.
- Centre for Quantum Software and Information: quantum computer software, information processing capabilities for quantum technologies.
- Centre for Technology in Water and Wastewater: alternative water sources for urban, rural and regional environments.
Emerging research strengths
- Additive Manufacturing
- Centre for Advanced Modelling and Geospatial Information Systems (CAMGIS)
- Centre for Audio, Acoustics and Vibration (CAAV)
- Centre for Built Infrastructure Research (CBIR)
- Centre for Indigenous Technology Research & Development (CITRD)
- Centre on Persuasive Systems for Wise Adaptive Living (PERSWADE)
- Cyber Security and Privacy (CSandP)
- Centre for Green Technology (CGT)
Schools in Engineering and IT
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Data Engineering
- Information, Systems and Modelling
- Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
- Professional Practice and Leadership
Get in touchFor enquiries related to research development
Our Graduate Research School (GRS) and Research Office provide a range of training opportunities for academic and professional staff, as well as Higher Degree Research (HDR) candidates. Development activities support the advancement of knowledge, skills and capabilities required for research and its supervision at UTS, and more broadly support research within academia and other environments such as industry.