Advisory and research
The UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance and The UTS Centre for Local Government offer an established capable specialist advisory service with a high standard of professional practice. We are committed to methodological innovation and rigour, and applied impact-driven research that benefits government, industry and the community. Members of our team are experienced and skilled at leading and managing policy or public administration projects in areas with sensitive stakeholder environments and complex legislative, policy and program requirements. We have a strong track record of successfully delivering projects on time and on budget for a range of government and non-government agencies and public trading enterprises.
The advisory service is built around our core strengths which are:
- the availability of an extensive network of expert associates, academics and industry and government partners with up-to-date specialist knowledge, practical experience and exposure to the latest thinking across a wide range of disciplines,
- the Institute’s experience in working with all three tiers of government as well as the non-government and the private sectors,
- our researchers are a mix of former public sector executives, academic professionals who provide strategic and practical solutions to issues of local, national and international importance,
- our researchers maintain extensive professional and peer-to-peer networks with the government; industry; business; not for profit and community-based organisations,
- we are recognised at the state, national and international levels for our strong and enduring partnerships with government, industry and the community.
Our areas of expertise
- Public Policy – a diverse range of policy topics including social policy, housing policy and local and regional development policy.
- Community Development and Social Impact – participatory democracy, community mobilisation, grassroots governance, co-design of policies and co-production of services, urban renewal and urban regeneration.
- Local Government – service delivery reviews; strategic planning; community engagement and stakeholder consultation; environmental management; social planning; the nature, role and effectiveness of local government; national and international comparative local government practice; local government in developing countries; and local government and economic development;
- Intergovernmental Relations, Governance and Partnerships – multi-level governance; metropolitan reforms and metropolitan governance; rescaling the state; public-private partnerships; institutional restructuring; strategic collaboration, cross-border alliances and growth coalitions.
- Urban Studies, Housing Studies and Urban Planning – new urban trends and challenges arising from contemporary patterns of urbanisation, including the implications for urban theory, urban policy, urban politics, urban marginality and urban political economy.
- Organisational Ethics and the Public Sector – governance and oversight; ethical theorising; and the public sector and codes of conduct.
The UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance is a blend of the best that the university and the commercial advisory sectors have to offer.
We are different because our work is shaped by the needs of our clients and sectors. We aim to develop high quality, relevant and applicable work that will make a real and tangible impact in the environments in which we work. Much of our work has a sector development focus and is guided by:
- the expressed needs, gaps and areas of interest identified by our stakeholders, clients and the government sector more broadly
- our international partners and their research and experience
- the specific objectives of research projects commissioned by governments or industry
As part of a university, we have access to the best specialists, academics and their latest thinking, across a range of disciplines.
Forming sector partnerships help shape our research agenda, and we often contribute toward sector capacity building based on our research by undertaking specific projects we feel will have a broader benefit or application.
Our activities promote scholarly exchange and practitioner dissemination of research findings. These activities include seminar series, round-tables, visiting academics, the publication of papers, conference papers, presentations to professional and industry groups and information exchanges with international local government organisations.
The Institute is about knowledge sharing and promoting good research outcomes and learnings across sectors.
Get in touch
Institute for Public Policy and Governance/
Centre for Local Government
University of Technology Sydney
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
UTS Tower Building, Level 21
Ultimo NSW 2007
Tel: +61 2 9514 7884
Fax: +61 2 9514 2274