Build your own major
Not sure what you'd like to specialise in? Or perhaps you’d like to customise your engineering degree by combining subjects from several majors? Or maybe you'd like to back up your first preference with another UTS engineering major in case you miss the Selection Rank on your first preference.
The Flexible major is the best choice for all the above. You can select approved subjects from any of the majors offered, allowing you to explore the areas that interest you, putting more emphasis on one major or combining complimentary subjects that give you a diverse skillset.
If you find some areas interest you more than others, you can negotiate to specialise. This means you can effectively start your degree with this major and then transfer to one of the other majors after your first year. Alternatively, if you have experience and you see a particular niche which covers two or more majors, you can negotiate your own specialist area of study.
Engineers need investigation, design and modelling skills as well as technical, analytical and practical skills. The Flexible major allows you to concentrate on these key graduate outcomes by combining rich project-oriented experiences with theoretical understanding from a range of disciplines. With an ability to identify problems, focus on solutions, work in teams and manage projects and people, you’ll be sought after in a wide range of industries once you graduate, such as:
- state and federal government agencies such as Transport for NSW or local councils
- water and catchment authorities
- development contractors and consultancies
- rail and road operators and their construction contractors
- banks and financial institutions
- planning, research and regulatory bodies
- research institutions such as the CSIRO
- energy companies such as TransGrid
- defence agencies and their contractors
- vehicle, train and aircraft manufacturers and their contractors
- private engineering consultancies specialising in civil, electrical, ICT, mechanical or other disciplines