Need help at tax time?
You'll be pleased to hear that UTS offers its students and staff free and qualified assistance with lodging their tax returns. Our Tax Help Centre:
- offers assistance during Spring session from 29 July 2019 - 25 October 2019
- is located at Student Services Unit SSU (Level 6, Building 1)
- will take bookings from 24 July 2019 (9514 1177)
- is run by UTS Financial Assistance together with the ATO Tax Help Program
- is staffed by UTS volunteer consultants trained and accredited by the Australian Tax Office (ATO), Tax Help Program.
Our volunteers can:
- help you submit your current tax PAYG return
- show you how to submit your own tax returns for future years
- advise if a tax return is necessary in your case. You can speak to one of our volunteers about non-lodgement (In some cases, low income earners do not need to lodge a tax return. If it is not necessary, and you lodged a return last year, it is important for the ATO to know this).
We can’t help you with:
- business tax returns
- partnership and trust matters
- capital gains tax
- rental property tax income schedules
The UTS Tax Help Centre is open to UTS staff and students, who
- have earned around $60,000 or less for the tax year 2018-2019 and who
- have income earnings from employer salaries (PAYE); interest and dividends. This excludes income from ABN contracts and other tax schedules.
You are eligible to access the service if you are:
- an international student*
- an Australian citizen
- a permanent resident
- on any work-permitting visa or humanitarian visa;
- Note: This service is NOT available to Insearch students.
*Overseas students who are temporary residents and enrolled in a course that is more than six-months long are generally taxed as an Australian Resident. If you are leaving Australia permanently, you can lodge your tax return with the ATO before the end of the financial year (30 June) and can apply for the repayment of any superannuation contributions made by your employer. Temporary residents should complete the 'Departing Australia Superannuation Payment' (DASP) (opens external site) with the ATO to reclaim their superannuation contributions.
And your income was received through:
- salary or wages as an employee, casual, part-time or full-time
- Australian government benefits and allowances, such as unemployment, Youth Allowance, Aus/Abstudy or sickness benefits
- managed funds
If in doubt, please refer to the ATO Tax Help Centre Client Eligibility Flowchart (PDF 63KB, one page).
Book an appointment
The service opens from 29 July - 25 October 2019.
We’re located at the Student Services Unit, Level 6, Building 1
To make a booking call 9514 1177.
What documents do I bring to my appointment?
To prepare your tax return, you must bring:
- your tax file number
- your BSB and bank account details
- your Medicare card or number & private health insurance statement where applicable
- your OSHC private/Medibank health insurance
Further relevant information as itemised (PDF 62KB, one page) to the appointment.
To lodge your tax return you are required to set up a MyGov account (opens external site). If you have not already registered your personal online MyGov account, we will assist you.
Please link your ATO account in MyGov before you attend your appointment.
Please bring the following:
- Your Tax File Number
- A valid, personal email address
- Your MYGov log-ons for the ATO portal, if already set-up
Provide any 2 items of the following documents which will enable the link between your MyGov account to your ATO service:
- Your Bank account details (if you have received a bank transfer from a previous tax return to this account)
- Your Superannuation account details (one from the last 5 years)
- Your PAYG Payment Summary (one from the last 2 years)
If you are unable to bring two of the above requirements, then please bring
- Your passport
Other tax help centres
Here are some volunteer organisations that can help with tax close to the UTS City campus. You’ll need to contact the organization and make an appointment.
|Who and Where||Contact details|
Harris Community Centre
|Tanya Plibersek MP Offices
150 Broadway, Chippendale
Australian Chinese Community Association
|City of Sydney, Glebe Neighbourhood Centre
Glebe Town Hall, 160 St Johns Rd, Glebe
|South Sydney Community Aid
180 George Street, Redfern
|Newton Neighbourhood Centre
1 Bedford Street, Newtown
Walla Mulla Community Centre
Self help: Lodge your own tax return online
To lodge your own tax return, use the official Tax Office online preparation and lodgement software, myGov (opens an external site).