In response to the global coronavirus health crisis, UTS has increased their total support funds to A$15-million as part of the Student Support Package to assist impacted students.
We are currently experiencing minor delays of a few days in processing payments.
We apologise to all students who are affected by these delays, and are working to resolve this issue and begin making loan payments in order of application on Friday 15 May.
Meanwhile, our team is working hard to process all applications as quickly as possible. With this in mind, if you have already lodged a submission, we appreciate it if you wait until after Friday 22 May before inquiring about your payment. This allows our staff to devote more time to processing new applications and assisting more students.
If you need to make an appointment to discuss an urgent financial situation please contact SSU reception on 02 9514 1177 and ask for a financial assistance appointment.
To be eligible for the Student Support Package including grants and loans, you must be:
- A UTS student, including Jumbunna UniStart; and
- Currently enrolled after UTS Autumn session 2020 census date or after the UTS Spring 2020 census date in an Award Undergraduate, Postgraduate or HDR Course; and
- Currently in Australia.
- Currently residing in UTS Housing for UTS Housing Rental Subsidy assistance.
All applications require evidence of your:
- Experiencing financial hardship in relation to COVID-19 that you are unable to adequately address via Government and other external financial support. For example: If you are receiving a government allowance, or have a fortnightly income or private support equivalent to or greater than A$1,200 (net after tax), you are not eligible to apply for a grant, however you are still eligible to apply for a loan.
- Insearch, UTS Exchange (inbound) and UTS Students on leave of absence are not eligible to apply.
- Indigenous students receiving Residential Costs option are not eligible for UTS Housing Rental Subsidy Assistance.
- If you are an International student and claiming COVID-19 related expenses during travel to Australia, please review the eligibility criteria for the UTS International Hardship Grant.
- If you have applied for the UTS International Hardship Grant, you are welcome to complete this application in relation to COVID-19 costs incurred since arriving in Australia only. The same period of accommodation will not be covered twice.
The University has defined specific categories and maximum claim amounts. Each claim will require supporting documentation.
Depending on your circumstances you can apply for assistance with:
- Interest-free loan (up to A$3,000), flexible repayment, repaid prior to graduation; and/or
- Grants (up to A$1,500) to assist with education-related expenses; living expenses; practical/placement course requirements and equipment; digital access—computer hardware/device, software and internet access; and/or
- UTS Student Housing rental subsidies (up to A$2,000), applicable to UTS Housing residents only
When can I apply?
Applications are open from Monday 27 April 2020 at 5pm AEDT and close on 14 October 2020 at 5pm AEDT.
How do I apply?
You will be asked to complete a simple online form and upload documentation related to your claim. You will be able to save and resume later your application if you wish.
What information do I need in preparing to apply?
- You must provide details of an Australian bank account to enable payment.
- Depending on your request you will be asked to provide evidence in the form of Centrelink (CRN); bank account transactions (last 90 days); receipts and/or personal statements to demonstrate financial hardship, in relation to COVID-19 and educational expenses.
How long will the application review process take?
- You will receive an acknowledgement email after your application is submitted.
- All requests in the first month of the program may take a few weeks to process, due to volume and new technological systems. Thereafter, we expect it will take approximately one (1) week from the date you submitted your application for an outcome to be reached.
- You will be notified by email on the outcome of your application.
When will I receive payment?
- Once your application has been approved, it will take approximately one (1) week for your payment to be made.
- We expect to provide Loan payments to your nominated Australian bank account from approximately Friday 15 May 2020. Grant and all other program request payments should be made from approximately Friday 20 May 2020.
- If you require an urgent loan payment, please submit an application for a Short Term Loan.
Can I submit more than one application?
What if I have additional questions?
We understand that you may have additional questions in relation to aspects of your study. Please review the following avenues to have your questions answered:
For questions relating to:
- Subject and course information - Admission requirements - Fees and scholarships - Course progression and study plans - Subject enrolment - Academic caution and sanctions - Exam related and academic progress applications - Leave of absence - Credit recognition and concurrent study - Graduation matters - ID card issuance - Student letters - Transcripts and testamurs - Help navigating UTS systems
Please contact the UTS Student Centre and ASK UTS.
- If you have any questions regarding your status as an International Student at UTS, including visa-related questions, please contact email@example.com.
- If you have questions relating to the Student Support Package or your application, please respond to the confirmation email after submitting your application or email Covid19Fin.Assist@uts.edu.au.
- If you have general questions in relation to Financial Assistance and support, please contact Financial.Assistance@uts.edu.au. If you would like to discuss your financial situation in more detail, you can book an appointment by contacting Student Services reception on 02 9514 1177.
- If you would like assistance with managing stress related to your financial circumstances, you can book an appointment by contacting Student Services reception on 02 9514 1177 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions relating to finding work and/or employability programs, please contact email@example.com.