COVID-19 Student Support Package
In response to the global coronavirus health crisis, UTS has increased their total support funds to A$15-million as part of the Student Support Package to assist impacted students.
COVID-19 Student Support Package is taking applications again from Friday 16 October.
Applications will close on Friday 20 November 2020, or once the funds have been disbursed, whichever is sooner.
There are 1000 grants at $500 each available.
All students who meet the eligibility requirements (listed below under ‘Eligibility criteria’) can apply for financial support of:
- an annual maximum balance of $3,000 on a loan;
- a $500 grant support for essential living costs; education-related costs, text-books or hardware/software and digital access costs
You are welcome to apply for the one-off $500 grant as an:
- international or local student; and also
- if you have previously received assistance from the Student Support Package
You are required to provide 3 months of recent bank transactions from ALL operating bank accounts. Without this and any other relevant documents, we may not be able to provide support, or to assess your request to your full favour.
- Housing Rental Subsidies are closed
- Students who are unable to meet ongoing rent costs may also wish to research their eligibility for the NSW Free Accommodation Program and apply at: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/guide/support-international-students#accommodation
- Alternatively, you may apply for a UTS Loan of up to $3,000 with no-interest and flexible repayment options (The loan application is included in the highlighted 'Start you application' button below)
If you need to make an appointment to discuss an urgent financial situation please contact SSU reception on 02 9514 1177 and ask for a Financial Assistance appointment.
To be eligible for the Student Support Package including grants and loans, you must be:
- A UTS student, including Jumbunna UniStart; and
- Currently enrolled after UTS Autumn session 2020 census date or after the UTS Spring 2020 census date in an Award Undergraduate, Postgraduate or HDR Course; and
- Currently in Australia.
- Have an income from allowances, work or financial support of no more than AUD$900 per fortnight
All applications require evidence of your:
- Experiencing financial hardship in relation to COVID-19 that you are unable to adequately address via Government and other external financial support.
- Please provide 3 months of recent bank transactions from ALL operating bank accounts in support of your financial circumstance
If you are receiving a government allowance, or have a fortnightly income or private support equivalent to or greater than AUD$900 p/f (net after tax), you are not eligible to receive a $500 grant, however you may still eligible to apply for a loan.
Note: Insearch, UTS Exchange (Inbound) and UTS Students on leave of absence are not eligible to apply.
When can I apply?
Applications are open immediately. Applications will close on Friday 20 November 2020, or once the funds have been disbursed..
How do I apply?
You will be asked to complete a simple online form and upload documentation related to your claim. You will be able to save and resume later your application if you wish.
What information do I need in preparing to apply?
- You must provide details of an Australian bank account to enable payment.
- Depending on your request you will be asked to provide evidence in the form of Centrelink (CRN); bank account transactions (last 90 days); receipts and/or personal statements to demonstrate financial hardship, in relation to COVID-19 and educational expenses.
How long will the application review process take?
- You will receive an acknowledgement email after your application is submitted.
- It will take approximately 2 weeks to process your application. Please ensure you have attached the most recent 3 months of bank transactions
- You will be notified by email on the outcome of your application.
When will I receive payment?
- Once your application has been approved, it will take approximately one (1) week for your payment to be made
- Please ensure you enter your Australian bank account details correctly, to avoid payment delays to your nominated bank account.
Can I submit more than one application?
- international and local students may apply for one $500 grant
- if you have previously received assistance from the Student Support Package, you are welcome to apply for this $500 grant.
What if I have additional questions?
We understand that you may have additional questions in relation to aspects of your study. Please review the following avenues to have your questions answered:
For questions relating to:
- Subject and course information - Admission requirements - Fees and scholarships - Course progression and study plans - Subject enrollment - Academic caution and sanctions - Exam related and academic progress applications - Leave of absence - Credit recognition and concurrent study - Graduation matters - ID card issuance - Student letters - Transcripts and testamurs - Help navigating UTS systems
Please contact the UTS Student Centre and ASK UTS.
- If you have any questions regarding your status as an International Student at UTS, including visa-related questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions relating to the Student Support Package or your application, please respond to the confirmation email after submitting your application or email Covid19Fin.Assist@uts.edu.au.
- If you have general questions in relation to Financial Assistance and support, please contact Financial.Assistance@uts.edu.au. If you would like to discuss your financial situation in more detail, you can book an appointment by contacting Student Services reception on 02 9514 1177.
- If you would like assistance with managing stress related to your financial circumstances, you can book an appointment by contacting Student Services reception on 02 9514 1177 or emailing email@example.com.
- If you have questions relating to finding work and/or employability programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.