Our staff, mentors and advisers are committed to excellence in areas of algae research and industry engagement.
Dr Alex Thomson
Manager, Deep Green Biotech Hub
With experience working in marine ecology research, tertiary teaching, project management, and industry engagement, I enjoy applying my science communication skills to develop and build relationships and opportunities.
Through the Deep Green Biotech Hub, I am currently spearheading the world’s first dedicated algae accelerator program - joining biotechnology and entrepreneurship, and creating opportunities for STEM-preneurs across NSW to accelerate algae innovation and engage with science.
Professor Peter Ralph
Founder, Deep Green Biotech Hub
I am a Professor of Marine Biology at UTS, and Executive Director of the Climate Change Cluster (C3) in the Faculty of Science. I am also founder of the Deep Green Biotech Hub, member of the IOC-UNESCO Blue Carbon International Scientific Working Group and former leader of the CSIRO Marine and Coastal Carbon Biogeochemistry Cluster. Within C3, I lead two research programs: Algae Biosystems and Biotechnology, and Seagrass Health.
I have made significant advances in the understanding of photosynthetic processes in seagrass, coral, plankton, and algae growing at their environmental extremes. Currently, I am applying my knowledge of bio-optics and photosynthesis to develop new sensors, diagnostics and cultivation systems to develop the algae-biotechnology sector, as well as mitigate the impact of dredging on seagrasses. My research partners include international collaborators within the education, research and industry sectors.
Gemma Gillette (L)
Green Light SPROUT, Deep Green Biotech Hub
Rachael Scott (R)
Outreach SPROUT, Deep Green Biotech Hub
Green Light Team Mentors
- Dr Janice McCauley – Sea Health Products, Claralumen, Has Algae
- Dr Manoj Kumar – Sea Health Products, Greenday Aquaculture
- Dr Leen Labeeuw – Byron Bioreactors, UCarryIt
- Dr Unnikrishnan Kuzhiumparambil – Young Henrys
- Dr Chris Hall – Algae Solutions, Lucky Land Produce
- Dr Donna Sutherland - UCarryIt
- Leo Lee - Algatex
- Dr Lucy Buxton – Industry Engagement Manager, Climate Change Cluster
- Sandy Beard – Investment Advisor, CVC Limited
- John Grew – Commercialisation Advisor, BioAdvisory Group
- Kate ffrench Blake – Associate Director, Corporate Real Estate
- Michael Christie – Intellectual Property Advisor, MinterEllison
- Michael van Niekerk – Investment Advisor, Peakview Strategy