I'm working on industry-focused bioproducts within the Climate Change Cluster (C3) as part of the expansion of the Bioproducts Research Program.This program has emerged from recent research into the potential industrial uses for algae, such as enzymes and pharmaceuticals.
My PhD in Analytical Chemistry (UoW) had a strong molecular biology focus and was the result of collaboration with the industry partner Venus Shell Systems Pty Ltd (macroalgae-based company).
I plan to will utilise my experience with R&D of novel foods (incl. bioavailability and bioaccessability assays) and ingredients derived specifically from algae.
- Novel foods and pharmaceuticals derived from algae
- Molecular biology
Environmental Chemistry (65621) (2017)
Introduction to Oceanography (91167) (2018)
McCauley, JI, Winberg, PC, Meyer, BJ & Skropeta, D 2019, 'Corrigendum to “Effects of nutrients and processing on the nutritionally important metabolites of Ulva sp. (Chlorophyta)” (Algal Research (2018) 35 (586–594), (S2211926418305678), (10.1016/j.algal.2018.09.016))', Algal Research, vol. 40.View/Download from: UTS OPUS or Publisher's site
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. The authors wish to make the following corrigendum. Venus Shell Systems (VSS) provided the Ulva sp. used in this study. They are listed under the author affiliations, as well as in the Methods Section 2.1 as having provided the samples. To further clarify the involvement of the company we wish to make the following changes to the Conflicts of interest section. The company Venus Shell Systems (VSS), listed in the author affiliations, provided the cultivated Ulva sp. used in this study, obtained using a proprietary culture system. The authors declare that there was no significant financial support that could have influenced the outcome of the project. The research is free of bias and was conducted ethically in accord with the University of Wollongong's policy on external research collaboration. The authors would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.
McCauley, JI, Winberg, PC, Meyer, BJ & Skropeta, D 2018, 'Effects of nutrients and processing on the nutritionally important metabolites of Ulva sp. (Chlorophyta)', Algal Research, vol. 35, pp. 586-594.View/Download from: UTS OPUS or Publisher's site
© 2018 Elsevier B.V. In consideration that, fatty acids bound within phospholipids may exhibit greater levels of bioavailability than neutral lipids, we investigated the effect of nutrient starvation on the phospholipid content and composition of cultivated Ulva biomass. Furthermore, we explored the simultaneous effects on the pigment and phenolic profiles and then correlation analysis to anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. High nutrient cultivation (nitrogen replete) provided a biomass with desirable n-6/n-3 (0.3) and 18:2n-6/18:3n-3 (0.5) ratios and beneficial 18:4n-3, 20:5n-3, 22:5n-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids dominated the abundant neutral lipid fraction, which comprised 62% of the lipid extract. The remaining phospholipids (38%) were characterised by high 16:0 (49.6%), 18:1n-7 (14.6%) and 18:3n-3 (13.6%) fatty acids. Nutrient-depleted samples had a 3-fold higher total fatty acid (TFA) content (12.05 mg·g−1 d.w, p < 0.0001) compared to nutrient replete samples (3.35 mg·g−1 d.w.). This occurred mostly within the neutral fraction, which represented 88% of the total lipids and the fatty acids 16:0 (4.02 ± 0.15 mg·g−1), 18:1n-7 (1.79 ± 0.06 mg·g−1), 18:2n-6 (2.30 ± 0.08 mg·g−1) and 18:3n-3 (1.09 ± 0.03 mg·g−1 d.w). Nutrient replete biomass yielded 1.5 mg·g−1 total chlorophyll, 0.1 mg·g−1 carotenoids and 1.6 mg·g−1 phenolics, whilst low nutrient growth conditions reduced the presence of pigments by 98%, phenolics by 34% and anti-oxidant activity by 87%. Significantly higher yields of pigment and phenolics were obtained using 95% ethanol for the extraction process, whilst acetone extracts were characterised by a higher proportion of carotenoids. All extracts from cultivated Ulva samples inhibited nitric oxide (NO) (≥81%) with acetone extracts demonstrating higher inhibition (94–97%) than 95% ethanol extracts (81–90%) with no significant effects observed between the two treatments. Thus, Ulva cultivated under high nutrients offers a sustainable source ...
McCauley, JI, Meyer, BJ, Winberg, PC & Skropeta, D 2016, 'Parameters affecting the analytical profile of fatty acids in the macroalgal genus Ulva', FOOD CHEMISTRY, vol. 209, pp. 332-340.View/Download from: Publisher's site
McCauley, JI, Meyer, BJ, Winberg, PC, Ranson, M & Skropeta, D 2015, 'Selecting Australian marine macroalgae based on the fatty acid composition and anti-inflammatory activity', JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYCOLOGY, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 2111-2121.View/Download from: Publisher's site