The Industry Researcher Development Program (IRDP) has been designed to support UTS students undertaking a PhD via the UTS Industry Doctorate Program
The Industry Doctorate Program (IDP) features:
3-4 year full-time research project, where a UTS PhD candidate investigates a real-world complex industry problem
Academic supervision with access to world class researchers, research facilities and infrastructure, in the heart of Sydney’s innovation hub
A specialised and relevant Industry Researcher Development Program (IRDP)
With a focus on developing strong researchers who are collaborative, enterprising, strategic and entrepreneurial, the IRDP has been designed to support employment and career paths in organisations external to the university. The IRDP comprises:
- UTS research environment provides an overview of the various research support mechanisms and information sources available at UTS and elsewhere—such as online, the UTS Library, Research Office and the Graduate Research School.
- Research integrity and ethics will focus on both the research and industry environments, identifying potential areas of conflict and strategies for addressing them.
Business and professional modules
- Collaboration and relationship building includes teamwork, leadership, networking and collaboration, in addition to constructively peer reviewing, giving and receiving feedback.
- Business management focuses on the development of practical business plans underpinned by strategic thinking; effective time/project management; financial and human resource planning; marketing.
- Innovation, commercialisation and entrepreneurship will enable participants to utilise innovative and entrepreneurial practices that support product and service commercialisation as well as new ventures.
- Industry engagement/awareness will comprise a series of interactive meetings with industry leaders intended to provide insights and understanding of particular industry environments and challenges, in addition to the opportunity of participating in advancing practice.
- Career planning and management will include self-assessment tools and techniques to help participants to achieve self and personal career goals along with the development of a comprehensive E-portfolio.
Facilitated by a range of research and industry experts, the IRDP will be offered in block mode to enable candidates to work within supportive cohorts, as well as spend uninterrupted time on their industry research project.
Following the initial orientation, the suite of business and professional modules will be delivered throughout the period of candidature, providing knowledge and skills to effectively create, plan, negotiate outcomes and deliver on industry projects.