UTS has an ambitious water saving target to reduce consumption each and every year. Since 2002 consumption has been cut 26%, despite a significant increase in floor space and student and staff numbers.
- Dual flush toilets in new and refurbished bathrooms
- Waterless urinals
- Tap aerators and automatic taps in bathrooms, kitchens and labs
- Water efficient appliances in kitchens, bathrooms and labs
- Water recycling in air-conditioning cooling towers
- New air-conditioning technology that uses less water
- Rainwater capture and use for gardens
- Mechanically driven vacuum aspiration in labs replacing water driven systems
- New web-based water management system
- ‘Smart’ meters and alarm systems to better detect leaks
What you can do
- Only put the dishwasher on when its full
- Don’t rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, and if absolutely necessary do it in a plugged sink
- Report leaking taps, toilets, urinals and any other leaks to Building Services.
- Limit showers to four minutes or less
- Never leave taps running
- For more tips on saving water and the latest information on water use visit Sydney Water.