Consent Matters training
Every single staff and student will complete it once during their time at UTS to ensure that all members of our community have a shared understanding of healthy relationships and can help if they see unacceptable situations.
This training is one part of our program to reduce unwanted sexual behaviour and encourage healthy relationships.
Deadline for completion
The deadline for coursework students to complete Consent Matters training is the results release date of your first session at UTS.
Failure to complete Consent Matters
You will only be able to view your results if you have completed the four modules and received 100 per cent in the quiz at the end.
If you fail to do this, you will receive a Consent Matters sanction and will not be able to view your results.
To remove the sanction, complete the training and receive 100 per cent in the quiz. You may need to wait up to 72 hours for your results to appear.
What a Consent Matters sanction looks like
- If you attempt to access your results via the Results tab in My Student Admin while you have a sanction, you will see 'CMT Consent Matters training required'. If you see this, follow instructions on this page to complete the modules and quiz.
- If you look at your Study Plan in My Student Admin, all of your past and current subjects will appear as 'Enrolled (Due to Sanction)'. Once you complete the training and the sanction is released, they will appear as 'Passed'.
If a Consent Matters sanction doesn't appear, it's likely you cannot see your results for a different reason. Find out more on the Student sanction website.
Completing Consent Matters
Training can be undertaken in one go (approximately one hour), or over a longer period, but it won't be recognised until you complete the two parts:
- read the content in all four modules
- receive 100 per cent in the 10-question quiz that appears at the end
How to access the training
- Go to the start directly (log in required), or navigate through UTSOnline to 'My Subjects'
- Select 'Consent Matters training'
- Select the 'Launch modules' button. A pop-up window will appear
- Once you finish the modules, it may take up to 15 minutes for the quiz to appear. Select the 'Launch quiz' button.
If you fail the quiz, you can repeat it until you pass. If you're having trouble understanding the language in the quiz, UTS HELPS can assist. You won't see your results until you receive 100 per cent in the quiz.
If you’re also a staff member, do the training in UTSOnline (logging in with your student ID and password) and email your certificate of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org to avoid completing the training twice.
Check you've passed the quiz
- Log into UTSOnline
- Select 'My Grades' under 'Quick Links'
If you have successfully completed the training, your grade will show as 'PASS'. Make sure to save your certificate on your device.
If 'FAIL' appears, or if the Grade column is blank, you have not completed the training. Check that you have:
- clicked through each page in the four modules
- completed the 10-question quiz that appears on the subject page after the modules
- received 100 per cent in the 10-question quiz (you can repeat it, if needed)
If you think that you have completed the module but your results are blocked, read the next section.
If you still can't see your results
There are a number of reasons why you may receive a sanction on your results, from a library fine to not paying your fees. You will see what type of sanction you have when you log into My Student Admin.
If you have a Consent Matters sanction and:
- you completed your training after the results release date, your session results will take up to 72 hours to appear
- you're seeing as ‘pass’ in UTSOnline and you’ve waited 72 hours but still can’t see your results, send an online enquiry via Ask UTS with your certificate of completion attached
Help and support
Please note that the training cannot be accessed via the Blackboard mobile app. If you would like to view the module with your mobile device, please log in to UTSOnline via your mobile browser instead.
If you have trouble logging in, accessing training or experience system errors, log a ticket on ServiceConnect (log in required).
We encourage anyone who is feeling uncomfortable to speak with a community or UTS support service listed on the Sexual Assault, Indecent Assault and Sexual Harassment information page.
For help understanding the language, contact UTS HELPS.
You can also attend a drop-in session at the library to help you complete Consent Matters.
We recognise that training may cause distress to students who have experienced trauma.
If it’s not in your best interests to undertake the module, fill out the Request to opt out of Consent Matters form and email it to email@example.com from your student email account. Verification can be supplied by any of the following:
- a counsellor (including a UTS counsellor)
- a registered medical practitioner with a Medicare provider number
- a registered psychologist
Emails received for exemptions without the required form and verification will not be actioned.
Information for staff
Staff complete Consent Matters training in NEO. Additional information for staff is provided on Staff Connect (log in required).
However, if you’re also a student, do the training in UTSOnline (logging in with your student ID and password) and email your certificate of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org to avoid completing the training twice.
Casual staff should read the Staff Connect information about payment and instructions.
When you attempt or complete the Consent Matters training, information will be generated regarding your attempts, stage of completion and results.
The collected information will be used to:
- record your completion
- troubleshoot any issues with you if your completion has not been properly recorded
- monitor the effectiveness of the training
- ensure ongoing quality improvement and planning
The information may also be used or disclosed in the event of an investigation into an allegation relevant to sexual assault or harassment, or if required or permitted by law.
Your Consent Matters results will be recorded:
- in UTSOnline under 'My Grades' and in My Student Admin (for students)
- in NEO, under 'Online Learning Management', My Learning (for staff)
You can access your results at any time. If you have completed the module but it is not reflected in the system, contact the Student Centre or HR.
For coursework students, successful completion of Consent Matters is required for the release of your results. In addition, your completion of Consent Matters will be recognised on your Australian Higher Education Graduate Statement (AHEGS) which is an official document that accompanies your Academic Transcript and Testamur upon graduation.
If you wish to lodge an exemption from the training, additional information will be required to support your exemption request. Refer to the privacy statement on the opt out form (for students) or the (refer to Exemptions provided under the relevant staff or student section on this webpage).