Under the Campus Master Plan, professional and support staff from the university's administrative units are being consolidated in Building 1 (Tower).
The first stage of the relocation project was to relocate Facilities Management Operations (FMO) and the Program Management Office (PMO) to level 19, Building 1. This was completed in 2011.
Following the relocation of Tower tenants into new faculty buildings during late 2014 and early 2015, stage two saw Human Resources Unit (HRU) and Financial Services Unit (FSU) move into refurbished Tower levels 23 and 24, respectively, in mid-2015, with level 22 becoming a dedicated training space.
The Student Administration Unit (SAU) then relocated to its purpose-designed space on level 15 of the Tower in late 2015, followed by teams from the Information Technology Division (ITD) to levels 11 and 12. In 2016, Shopfront, International, the Institute for Public Policy and Governance and other administrative units relocated into upgraded spaces on levels 20 and 21, while Careers moved into a strikingly refurbished space on level 25.
- Genuinely open-plan office environment – managers now sit in the general office area, rather than enclosed offices around the building core. Directors retain offices.
- Revised linear bench design, featuring additional storage space and returns to increase sense of privacy, especially for staff located with their back to the core.
- Additional enclosed meeting rooms clustered around the building core.
- Enclosed quiet rooms for informal meetings and private discussions, including telephone calls.
- Spacious kitchens with doors that open to workspaces to create room for large gatherings.
- Better acoustic separation between the main kitchen and adjacent workspaces.
Location: UTS campus, Building 1 (Tower)
Stage 1 completion: 2011
Stage 1 Project team: Projects Branch, Facilities Management Unit (UTS project manager); Burtenshaw Scoufis (architect); ISIS (contractor)
Stage 2 commenced: 2014