UTS makes provisions for students who have been studying in English for a limited time to use a paper dictionary (not electronic), and to have extra time in exams. If you believe you are disadvantaged by your non-English speaking background (NESB), you can apply for special conditions in exams.
The special conditions in exams for students from non-English speaking backgrounds are:
- additional exam time (10 minutes per exam hour) in exams of two hours or more
- the use of a monolingual English dictionary (e.g. Macquarie).
If you have any enquires about special conditions in exams for students from non-English speaking backgrounds, please come to the HELPS office (CB01.05.25) on Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 9:30 and 12:00.
Who can apply?
You can apply for special conditions in exams if:
- you are from a non-English speaking background (NESB), and
- you are in your first year at UTS, and
- the duration of the exam is two hours or more.
How to apply
If you are eligible to apply, you'll need to do the following:
- Complete the application form - Special Exam Conditions application (PDF 73KB).
- Submit the completed application form at the HELPS office (CB01.05.25) by the closing date.
Your UTS email address will be used to correspond with you about your application.
- Centrally-conducted exams:
- For end-of-session examinations, applications must be submitted by the Census date. Summer session application due date: Wednesday 19 December 2018.
- Faculty-based exams:
- All applications must be submitted by the Census date. Summer session application due date: Wednesday 19 December 2018.
- If your exam is not listed on the Student Administration Unit's exams website it means it is being administered by the faculty.
- If applied, you will receive an email from UTS Examinations to confirm your approval status.
- Please check your exam details on My Student Admin closer to your exam(s).
- If approved, under the Exam Timetable, you will find the subject title, exam date & time as well as the location (room number & sit number).
- Please note that dictionaries are supplied by the UTS Examinations, and you should not bring your own.
- If you have submitted your application for special conditions in exams and you have Faculty-based exams, UTS Exams Branch will notify the faculty of your approved special conditions.
- In order to organise your special conditions for each exam, you should contact the Subject Coordinator before the closing date (see the closing dates for applications above). Your subject coordinator will then confirm with UTS Examinations if you have been approved for the conditions.
- You may be asked to bring your own dictionary subject to approval and inspection (so be sure not to write in it).
For more information on special conditions in exams, please refer to the UTS Manage your course webpage.