At the initial stage of your assignment writing or preparation process, you are strongly encouraged to come and see HELPS. The best time to see us is when you first receive your assignment.
HELPS Advisors can help edit your assignment WITH you, not FOR you - helping you to edit for:
- Structure and argument – that your writing is logically organised with well-developed and well-supported arguments.
- Style and expression – that your choice of vocabulary is appropriate, sentences are well constructed, ideas are clearly introduced, and paragraphs are fully developed.
- Grammar – that your issues are identified and explained so you can learn from your mistakes and avoid making them in the future.
Proofreading is the final step in the editing process, with the aim of producing an error-free assignment. It is your responsibility to check for mistakes in spelling, punctuation, typing and formatting in your assignment before you submit it to your lecturer.
We offer 15-minute drop-in advice sessions and 40-minute one-to-one consultations by referral to help you with your assignment writing and preparation.
At 15-minute drop-in advice sessions you can ask quick questions about your studies and assessments (except for any subject content matter) without having to make an appointment.
A drop-in advice session may cover:
- understanding an assignment question and the assessment criteria
- clarifying an assignment type (e.g. what’s a literature review?)
- planning an assignment
- offering strategies for effective reading/note-making/presentation
- obtaining information on self-study resources.
However, you can’t:
- expect the HELPS Advisor to comment on all of your assessment in 15-minutes - it’s not humanly possible
- seek assistance on the day the assignment is due - please plan in advance.
Due to high demand, this service is limited to one session per day for one assignment. Students are allowed a maximum of two sessions if they have questions about two different assignments.
Drop-in advice timetable
2018-19 Summer Session (5 December 2018 - 15 February 2019)
HELPS Office (CB01.05.25)
Monday to Friday: 12noon - 5pm
Not offered during Christmas closure (24 Dec 2018 - 1 Jan 2019)
2019 Autumn Session (from week 2 to week 12)
Not offered on Public Holidays.
HELPS Office (CB01.05.25)
Monday to Thursday: 12noon - 6pm / Friday: 12noon - 5pm
UTS Blake Library (Study helpdesk)
Monday to Thursday: 2pm - 7pm / Saturday: 1pm - 4pm
Pop-up drop-ins: Bld 10 Foyer (Pod 1)
Monday to Thursday: 10am - 1pm
Pop-up drop-ins: Bld 11 FEIT Learning Precinct (CB11.05.300)
Tuesday to Thursday: 1pm - 4pm
At the drop-in advice session we can, if you need it, book you in for a longer one-to-one consultation closer to the due date for when you have your draft ready.