Come and see HELPS when you're preparing to write your assignment.
At the initial stage of your assignment writing or preparation process, you are strongly encouraged to come and see HELPS. The best time to see us is when you first receive your assignment.
To support you to improve your assignments, we offer three types of consultation services: Drop-in advice + One-to-one consultation + Online writing review
Remember. HELPS Advisors can help edit your assignment WITH you, not FOR you - helping you to edit for:
- Structure and argument – that your writing is logically organised with well-developed and well-supported arguments.
- Style and expression – that your choice of vocabulary is appropriate, sentences are well constructed, ideas are clearly introduced, and paragraphs are fully developed.
- Grammar – that your issues are identified and explained so you can learn from your mistakes and avoid making them in the future.
Proofreading is the final step in the editing process, with the aim of producing an error-free assignment. It is your responsibility to check for mistakes in spelling, punctuation, typing and formatting in your assignment before you submit it to your lecturer.
At drop-in advice sessions, you can ask quick questions about your studies and assessments (except for any subject content matter) without having to make an appointment. We can also, if you need it, book you in for a longer one-to-one consultation closer to the due date for when you have your draft ready.
2020 Spring Session
We are back on campus this Spring!
Face to Face sessions: come to CB01.05.25. No appointment required!
- Mon – Fri 12:00pm – 3:00pm
Virtual sessions: please ring 9514 9733 or email email@example.com to arrange a session
- Mon – Thu 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Fri 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Sat 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
What sort of help can I get at drop-in?
A drop-in advice session may cover:
- understanding an assignment question and the assessment criteria
- clarifying an assignment type (e.g. what’s a literature review?)
- planning an assignment
- offering strategies for effective reading/note-making/presentation
- obtaining information on self-study resources.
However, you can’t:
- expect the HELPS Advisor to comment on all of your assessment in 15-minutes - it’s not humanly possible
- seek assistance on the day the assignment is due - please plan in advance.
How many drop-in sessions can I have per day?
Due to high demand, this service is limited to one session per day for one assignment. Students are allowed a maximum of two sessions if they have questions about two different assignments.
When should I drop in?
Come and see us at drop-in at the initial stage of the assignment writing process. The best time to see us is when you first receive your assignment.