Unique Student Identifier (USI)
What is the USI?
The USI is a single unique identifier for your education journey. It's a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters and will stay with you for life.
The USI is being extended to the higher education sector gradually, from 1 January 2021.
By 2023, all higher education students will need to have a USI if they expect to graduate in 2023 or beyond. This includes all students who started before 2021, as well as all international students studying onshore.
Continuing students may obtain their USI anytime between now and 2023. However, if you're accessing any commonwealth assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, SA-HELP or OS-HELP) you will need to provide your USI when you submit your commonwealth assistance form.
When do I need a USI?
We suggest you apply for your USI straight away. Domestic and onshore international students are able to submit their USI to UTS now.
If you belong to one of the following cohorts, you must provide your USI no later than the census date of your first enrolled session in 2021.
- Anyone commencing at UTS (or any tertiary education) for the first time in 2021, and in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
- Anyone seeking Financial Assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, OS-HELP, SA-HELP) for their current course for the first time in 2021
If you belong to one of these cohorts, you must provide your USI no later than 1 January 2023
- Any students in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) or fee paying place who commenced study before 2021 and is not requesting commonwealth assistance for the first time in 2021
- Onshore international students
- Higher Degree Research students
What if I already have a USI and I have forgotten it?
If you have undertaken any training since 2015, you probably already have a USI.
If you're unsure, or if you’ve forgotten it, please go to the Find your USI page to check.
How do I get a USI?
It's free and easy to create your USI. Go to www.usi.gov.au and click 'Create a USI'.
You will require documentation to prove your identity. The following are acceptable forms of ID to create a USI. You will need at least one of the identity documents listed below:
- Australian Passport
- Non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa)
- Australian Birth Certificate
- Australian Driver's Licence
- Medicare Card
- Certificate of Registration by Descent
- Centrelink Concession Cards
- Citizenship Certificate
How do I tell UTS what my USI is?
Commencing students for 2021 can provide their USI during the offer acceptance process in My Student Admin.
All students can provide their USI at any time by going into My Student Admin. Go to the Personal Details tab and click on the USI link from the list on the left hand side of the page.
I’m an international student, do I need a USI?
International students studying onshore, in Australia, will need a USI. Once you arrive in Australia you can use your Australian visa as a form of ID when creating your USI. International students studying offshore do not need a USI.
If you have any questions please contact us at ASK UTS or visit the USI website.