Teaching and learning
The accounting discipline group’s teaching is informed by industry best practice and the latest financial and management accounting research. Subjects offered by the group apply the latest innovations in teaching to facilitate an interactive and engaging approach to accounting education. The group’s innovative approach to accounting education has been recognised through multiple awards for outstanding contributions to student learning. The group’s approach to teaching ensures students are best prepared for the challenging and changing world of business.
A range of practical and professionally relevant undergraduate and postgraduate courses that are recognised by professional bodies including the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA), CPA Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) are offered by the accounting discipline group. In addition accounting short courses provide foundation knowledge and further development of the skills needed by the modern business professional, with courses such as; Accounting Information Systems and Financial Analysis using Excel, for continuing professional development.
Recent Teaching and Learning Awards:
- UTS Learning and Teaching Awards, Casual or Session Staff Member Award 2019. Raechel Wight, UTS Business School, For continuous creative resource development and leading a community of practice.
- UTS Learning and Teaching Awards, Futures Teaching Award 2018. Dr Nicole Sutton (Team Leader) and Raechel Wight, UTS Business School, For Try, try and try again: a continuous, collective approach to doing learning.futures.
- UTS Learning and Teaching Awards, Individual Teaching Award 2017. Dr James Wakefield, UTS Business School, For a sustained approach to enhancing student engagement and performance in introductory accounting and beyond.
UTS Learning and Teaching Awards, Individual Teaching Award 2016. Dr Amanda White, UTS Business School, Making a silk purse out of Auditing 101
- Australian Government, Office for Learning and Teaching, 2013 Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (Tyler, J., Wakefield, J., Dyson, L. E., & Frawley, J.) For a sustained cross-faculty team-teaching approach to providing formative feedback, peer learning and innovative assessment for introductory accounting students.
- Australian Award for University Teaching: Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Australian Government Office of Teaching & Learning 2012 (Bond, D., Czernkowski, R and Wells, P.)
- UTS Learning and Teaching Award, Team Teaching, 2012, (Tyler, J., Wakefield, J., Dyson, L. E., & Frawley, J.) A sustained cross-faculty team-teaching approach to increasing student engagement, feedback and creativity in introductory accounting.
- UTS Learning & Teaching Award 2011 Team Teaching ( Bond, D., Czernkowski , R and Wells, P.)
- Unijobs Lecturer of the Year – UTS 2011 (Bond, D)
See more at courses.