Science Week STEM Design Challenge 2020
To celebrate National Science Week, Women in Engineering and IT collaborated with Tech Girls Movement Foundation and Engineers Without Borders to deliver a STEM Design Challenge for regional schools, with the support of Inspiring Australia. Check out what local community problems students solved with STEM!
Supporting farmers and agriculture
- Tiahna and team's ‘Invisible fence’ – Highly technical prototype and great ideas to combine various technologies
Droughts and Floods
- Natalya, Noah, Elliot and Malakai ‘Bike Path Drainage System’ – Great use of TinkerCAD to design 3D model
- Ava and Maddie ‘Self watering machine’ – Great pitch to solve Parkes drought and use of sensors and technology.
- Bonnie, Caitlin and Ashlea ‘Sprinkler system and Luna Drone’ – The only team to pitch live on Zoom on Friday afternoon. Well thought out and intricate prototype.
- Phoebe, Sienna and Ella ‘Save X Water saving device’ – Able to capture frost and dew as well as rain!
- Carrigan, Sovanah, Jake and William's ‘Smoke stack filter’ – Very convincing pitch video with use of TinkerCAD to prototype. Well done on research and considerations of cost and environment!
- Spencer and team ‘Wet grass – the only solution to your water pollution’ – Very convincing pitch video and great use of science!
- Zac, Poppy, Olivia and Arlen ‘6-step plan to saving native fish’ – We may need this team in parliament!
- Lila, Sophie, Chloe and Hannah ‘Multi-bin’ – Human-centred design with ‘token system’ for incentivising users.
- Teleigha and team ‘Separating trash from plastic’ – Great ideas to use tech.
Helping the community
- Mae, Lucy and Belle ‘Magnatron 2000 to help elderly get around’ – Very innovative futuristic form of transport and user-centred design with voice activation. Also considerations of security with voice detection, safety with emergency wheel and the environment.
- Toby, Josh, Jack and Will ‘Fire vehicle’ – Very convincing pitch video to save lives.
Partner with us to reach more regional communities
Get in touch to start collaborating!