Empowering the built environment through technological change and digital innovations.
Building information modelling
The UTS 5D BIM Research Lab is a collaborative initiative with industry sponsors that aims to help construction project managers involved in the delivery of projects to understand the implications of their methodology, most especially on construction cost. The Lab is also used for executive training and supports applied research in 5D BIM technologies and related digital innovations such as machine learning.
The key researchers include:
- Associate Professor Johnny Wong – sensing and machine learning to support construction
- Associate Professor Peter Smith – international project cost management practices
- Associate Professor Grace Ding – energy modelling and life-cycle costingAssociate Professor
- Dr Michael Er – adoption and diffusion of technology in the construction industry
- Chris Brown – development and application of advanced BIM process models
Emerging sensor technologies are transforming our capacity to create an empirical data bridge between building performance and user comfort. Using a unique combination of advances in neuroscience, biometric sensors, and immersive virtual reality, the Portable Immersive Mobile Brain/Body Lab Ecology for Built Environment Experiences (PIMBLEBEE) is a world's-first research initiative focused on understanding how people experience the built environment at a physiological level. Applications range from the study of mental stress, to user comfort and well-being, from propensity to pay for green infrastructure, to health and safety behaviour on construction sites.
- Professor Sidney Newton – neuroscience applications for combined building and user digital twins
- Dr Arezoo Shirazi – building energy and air quality modelling and life-cycle assessment
- Dr Alireza Ahmadian Fard Fini – dynamic programming and biometric analysis of construction work practices
- Professor Sara Wilkinson – immersive virtual reality applications to analyse user behaviour
Embrace a brighter future: email@example.com