UTS is a great place to study, work and play but it’s important to consider your safety on campus.
Top tips for staying safe on campus
- Be alert, assertive and confident.
- Walk with other people rather than by yourself if you can.
- Carry only the money you need for the day.
- Keep your money and wallet in your front pocket if you have one and keep your bag closed and in front of you.
- Be aware of your surroundings, and don’t let your mobile phone or device distract you while walking.
- At night, stay in well-lit areas where there are plenty of people.
- If you think someone is following or threatening you, cross the street, change direction, vary your pace, enter a shop or ask for help at an occupied home.
- While on campus, keep an eye on valuables such as your wallet and phone.
- Lock your vehicle, and park in well-lit and well-used areas.
- Use the UTS security shuttle bus or a security escort if needed.
- Report any suspicious activity to UTS Security by dialling 6 from a UTS internal phone or freecall 1800 249 559.
Find a Help Point on campus
Call for help at one of our 24/7 monitored Help Points.
- Alumni Green, one on the eastern side and one on the western side
- Building 4, level 2 next to the Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic and opposite the UTS Union gymnasium
- Building 5C, level 1 next to computer lab CB05C.124, in the 24-hour open-plan area
- Building 6, level 1 (car park level) at the lift entrance
- Building 6, level 3, just outside the Faculty Computer Unit
- Building 10, level 2, adjacent to ramp into open-plan computer area
- Blackfriars Building 25 at the entry
- Geegal Housing (entry foyer)
- Bulga Ngurra Housing (entry foyer)
- Gumal Ngurang Housing (entry foyer)
Use the security escort service
Both students and staff can request a security escort to a UTS building, UTS residence or Central Railway Station after dark. Please:
- phone 9514 1192, seven nights a week to arrange a time to meet.
- provide plenty of notice.
- show your student or staff ID.
A daytime security escort is also available if you have safety concerns.
There is also a timetabled security escort between Yura Mudang Housing and Building 5A.
Yura Mudang—Haymarket A Block security escort timetable
UTS offers a night-time return security escort service between Yura Mudang student housing and Haymarket, Building 5A computer labs, which operates to the following timetable:
|DEPART YURA MUDANG||ARRIVE HAYMARKET, BUILDING 5A||DEPART HAYMARKET, BUILDING 5A||ARRIVE YURA MUDANG|
Catch the security shuttle bus
A regular shuttle bus runs seven nights a week between mid-January and late-December, transporting students and staff around the campus and to UTS student housing residences.