In an emergency, contact Security
- dial 6 from a UTS phone or
- freecall 1800 249 559 from any phone
Add the freecall number 1800 249 559 to your mobile phone contacts list so it’s there if you ever need it.
If there’s a fire
- the smoke detectors activate the evacuation system and
- Fire & Rescue NSW is called automatically.
Escape from UTS
If you are a student or member of staff, please watch the Escape from UTS video periodically so you know how to evacuate safely in an emergency.
Teaching staff, please visit Staff Connect for details of your responsibilities in an evacuation .
What to do in an evacuation
- Listen for the evacuation alarm to sound. It consists of two tones:
- Stand-by-and-prepare-to-evacuate tone – a Beep...Beep...Beep... sound
- Evacuate tone – a Whoop...Whoop...Whoop... sound accompanied by a voice message advising evacuation of the building.
- Do not attempt to combat a fire – leave it to professionally trained personnel.
- Staff members, please take students or visitors with you during an evacuation of the building.
- Assist any person with a disability.
- Take only your immediate belongings – do not waste time!
- Evacuate the building via the fire stairs or signed exits. Do not use lifts.
- Follow directions from security officers or fire wardens.
- Move quickly but do not run.
- Do not return to the building until the 'all clear' is given – normally be advised by the security officer on duty on the advice of the emergency services personnel in attendance.