Michael Whitbread Scholarship
$3,000 + work placement
One (1) session
A travel grant awarded to a UTS Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor student to assist with travel costs to London, United Kingdom, for the recipient to undertake a two-week internship at Barristers’ Chamber 7 Bedford Row.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for this scholarship an applicant must:
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or permanent humanitarian visa; and
- be enrolled in a UTS Bachelor of Laws (single or combined degree) or UTS Juris Doctor; and
- be in the final or penultimate year of their UTS Law course; and
- apply for the scholarship online using the UTS Scholarship Application form; and
- be available to participate in an interview.
- Personal attributes that contribute to the recipient’s motivation and ability to succeed in their chosen UTS Faculty of Law course, as demonstrated in the scholarship application and interview;
- Demonstrated initiative in personal and professional life, as demonstrated in the scholarship application and interview;
- Potential for the internship experience to further the recipient’s law career, as demonstrated in the scholarship application and interview;
- Alignment to the culture, values and goals of 7 Bedford Row as demonstrated in the scholarship application and interview;
- Academic performance (weighted average mark, WAM, in current UTS course) may be taken into consideration;
Additionally, preference may be given to applicants that have experienced any long-term educational barriers and/or personal hardship including:
- carer responsibilities;
- financial disadvantage
- Indigenous Australian;
- long-term medical condition, disability, or ongoing effects of abuse;
- refugee status;
- regional or remote background;
- sole parent.
Students wishing to evidence this criteria should provide a personal statement describing the educational barriers and/or personal hardship faced.
How to apply
Applications for this scholarship are currently open. To apply please complete the online application form.
Before applying please read the Conditions of Award for this scholarship.
Applications close on Monday 23 March 2020. All applications must be submitted online by this date. Late applications will not be considered.
Need more information? Contact...
The successful candidate may apply to include the two-week internship in London, United Kingdom together with a further two weeks of overseas internship experience arranged by them, as part of subject 76098 International Legal Internship (UG) or 78295 Global Professional Experience Project (PG) and receive subject credit. Please contact Beth Goldblatt, the Internship Program Head, for more information.
For the full details of this scholarship please see the Conditions of Award.