Indigenous Education Costs Scholarship
One (1) year
To provide Indigenous students with financial assistance towards their education costs to support thier academic success.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the scholarship an applicant must:
- be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and provide either:
- a Confirmation of Aboriginality from a Local Aboriginal Land Council or other Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander organisation; or
- a UTS Statutory Declaration form accompanied by two written references from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people from the applicant’s community who can confirm their identity and are not an immediate family member; and
- be intending to enrol, or currently enrolled, in an eligible course, which includes:
- an undergraduate award course; or
- a postgraduate award course; or
- the Jumbunna Unistart program; and
- not be in receipt of other Commonwealth funding which may make them ineligible for this scholarship; and
- apply using the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) Equity Scholarship application form and therein demonstrate financial disadvantage through:
- receiving a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (e.g. ABSTUDY, Parenting Payment Single, Disability Support Pension, Carer Allowance); or
- providing comprehensive information demonstrating exceptional financial hardship.
Alternatively, students can arrange a financial assessment with the UTS Financial Assistance Service to evidence financial disadvantage. This option is only available when an applicant cannot demonstrate financial disadvantage as specified above and in the UAC Equity Scholarship application.
- Recipients are selected based on meeting the eligibility criteria.
- Applicants that meet the eligibility criteria are not guaranteed a Scholarship as the number available is based on Commonwealth funding available to UTS each year.
- For undergraduate students, preference is given to students commencing, or enrolled in, their first undergraduate course.
- Continuing students that have not maintained a minimum pass average (minimum WAM 50) in the previous session may not be considered for the Scholarship.
How to apply
Applications for this scholarship are currently open. To apply please complete the online Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) Equity Scholarship application form.
Before applying please read the Conditions of Award for this scholarship.
Need more information? Contact...
IMPORTANT: These scholarships are funded by the Commonwealth Government. As such, you are reminded that receiving this scholarship may affect other forms of Commonwealth assistance you receive (e.g. ABSTUDY Student Start-up Loan, ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option, Relocation Scholarship).
If you are receiving any other Commonwealth assistance it is your responsibility to contact Centrelink to discuss how receiving this scholarship payment may affect any other payments you receive. Please refer to the Conditions of Award for more information.