Garth Barnett Prize for Excellence in Design
Established in memory of the late Garth Barnett, a self-taught designer, the aim of the Prize is to encourage and reward excellence in Design. The prize is awarded to students who produce an exemplary portfolio of design work, specifically in interiors.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Prize, a candidate must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in:
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design; or
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design/Bachelor of Arts in International Studies; or
- Bachelor of Design in Interior and Spatial Design/Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation; or
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Interior and Spatial Design; or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture; (2017 academic year onwards) or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture/Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation. (2017 academic year onwards); and
- Must be in their final full time equivalent year of study (equivalent to successfully completed 96 or above credit points) at the time of the prize application; and
- Must have received a Weighted Average Mark of 80 or above; and
- Candidates meeting the above criteria will be identified and be invited by the Faculty to submit an application.
To apply, invitees must:
- Submit a digital portfolio (max 3mb) of a maximum 5 x A1 landscape pages including:
- Up to four pages of display digital files, scans and/or photographs (compressed jpegs for web viewing) of original design work done by the applicant, including previous design studio submission (s) that in their opinion presents their work best,
- one page written submission that includes a brief appraisal of what is good or lacking in each design (150-200 words for each design); and
- Attend an interview in person.
Candidates will be selected based on the following attributes:
- Quality of or exemplary design work
- Ability to provide a new/unique understanding or insight
- Innovativeness in design
- Ability to clearly communicate their design to others
- Ability to resolve design problems, and
- Academic Performance (WAM at the time of selection) may be taken into consideration.
Need more information? Contact...
Top ranked students will be invited to apply by the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building.