Amber Tiles Design Prize
$6,500 + Travel Expenses
Established by Amber Tiles, this prize rewards excellence in design by individuals studying design at UTS by supporting the creativity and, innovation of the design community. Please read the Conditions of Award for full details of the Prize.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Prize, a candidate must meet all of the following criteria:
- In the year for which the award is made be enrolled in any School of Design degree in the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building; and
- Have successfully completed at least one studio subject relevant to their degree
- Submit a digital portfolio (max 3mb) of a maximum 5 x A1 landscape pages of a custom tile design including:
- Up to four pages of display digital files, scans and/or photographs (compressed jpegs for web viewing) of original design work done by the applicant, including
- Individual tile design in Matte Finish. In one of the below sizes:
- Tile pattern in repeat
- a fully resolved interior or exterior space featuring his or her custom tile as the hero in the design
- one page written (500 words max) submission that includes a brief appraisal of the overall tile design
As evidenced/demonstrated by the submitted portfolio of work:
- Quality of or exemplary design work
- Ability to provide a new/unique understanding, aesthetic or insight
- Innovativeness in design and/or use of materials
- Ability to clearly communicate their design to others
- Ability to resolve design problems (formal, functional and technical)
- Practicality of the design
- Attention to detail
Need more information? Contact...
External Relations Officer
Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building
Phone: (02) 9514 8011
- Students must be able to travel between 21 September and 1 October.
- The winner will be invited to the Kim Hin Factories (owners of Amber Tiles) in Malaysia, where the tiles are made.
- The winner will also attend a design studio class in Italy.