The Certification Short Course is for building professionals wishing to become accredited certifiers or renew their accreditation. It has been approved by the Building Professionals Board (BPB) and successful completion of the course is a prerequisite for an application for accreditation with the BPB. This course involves three written assignments in addition to attendance at all sessions.
If you are applying to enrol in the Certification Short Course as a prerequisite to applying for accreditation in categories A1, A2 or A3, you must first check that you hold one of the qualifications listed for these categories in Schedule 3, Part 2 of the BPB Accreditation Scheme. You must have the qualification required to apply for accreditation in these categories.
Please note, we strongly recommend participants confirm with the Building Professionals Board NSW that this course is appropriate for your certification requirements. Enquiries can be directed to 02 8522 7800 or via email email@example.com.
** Please note, places for UTS Certification short courses for 2018 are currently fully booked. Places are available for 2019.**
Key info: dates, costs and location
2019 Courses include:
|Venue||UTS City Campus|
|Cost||$2,915 (GST inclusive)|
Courses are subject to minimum enrolment numbers to run.
Who should attend?
This program is particularly useful for:
- Building professionals wishing to become accredited certifiers or renew their accreditation.
- Course introduction and overview; the certification system; the NSW planning system; zoning and development standards; the development application and assessment process; conditions of consent.
- Development approvals and issuing certificates: construction, occupation, compliance, subdivision, strata.
- Setting up as a Certifier; running the business; paperwork, records and reports; handling customers and community responsibilities; compliance and enforcement.
- BPB complaints and auditing processes; legal workshop; insurance and liability; conflicts of interest; course review.
The program involves a package of three assessments. These must be completed satisfactorily for participants to obtain a Certificate of Successful Completion, which in turn is essential for accreditation.
Assessment requirements include:
- Attendance – generally 100% of the Course except for the most pressing reasons
- Satisfactory participation in small-group activities during the Course
- Three substantial written assignments. (NB: These must clearly be each participant’s own work – plagiarism and collusion are unacceptable.)
About the presenters
The program is taught by a team of expert practitioners assisted by senior staff of the Building Professionals Board.
Danny Wiggins has been a planning consultant for twenty years, specialising in statutory planning systems and local planning controls. He has worked for all three levels of government, and a range of private sector clients..
Robert Marinelli is a Director and joint Managing Director in the Philip Chun group of companies, his experience ranges from domestic residential developments to multi-storey office, hotel and retail developments.
Steve Watson is Managing Director of Steve Watson and Partners, building regulation consultants and Certifiers. He is an accredited fire-safety engineer, an accredited Principal Certifying Authority in New South Wales, and a highly qualified and experienced professional in the area of performance-based building code compliance.
Tim Stenning is a Grade A1 Accredited Certifier under the Building Professionals Board Accreditation Scheme. Tim has 20 years’ experience as a Building Surveyor and Accredited Certifier within both the private sector and Local Government.
Joshua Palmer is a Partner at Pikes & Verekers Lawyers. Joshua has extensive experience in local government and planning and environmental law, regularly acting and appearing for local government, private developers and accredited certifier clients in both Class 1 and Class 4 of the Land and Environment Court’s jurisdiction.
Booking and payment options
Pay by credit card:
To enrol and pay online by credit card, please visit the UTS short courses website:
Customised and in-house delivery options
This course can also be customised and/or delivered in-house. Find out more
Need more information? Check our FAQs, or contact us directly:
- For all course related enquiries and future dates, please contact us on +61 (02) 9514 7884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions relating to this course.
- For all other enquiries regarding enrolment or payment, please contact UTS Short Courses on +61 (02) 9514 2913 or email email@example.com
This short course is presented by the UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance. Learn more about the Institute's research, industry collaboration, postgraduate and professional development opportunities.