UTS has over 9000 computers. This makes IT one of our largest areas of energy consumption. Since 2012 we have been installing Greentrac software on desktop computers to help reduce energy use. Greentrac enables computers to be powered down or switched off centrally.
Business hours Greentrac functions
- Monitors – screens go into standby (i.e. blank) after 15 minutes idle
- Hard disk – spins down to a lower speed if computers are not used for 10 minutes
- CPU – steps down to low power when computers are idle
After hours Greentrac functions
- If a staff member is logged in, after 1 hour idle, computer goes to sleep
- If no staff member logged in, after 1 hour idle, computer shuts down
- Power usage reduced by 1.86 GWh per annum
- Power costs savings of over $250,000 per annum
- Carbon footprint reduced by 1680 tons of CO2 per annum
Most high volume IT equipment is on lease with take back at end of life for recycling. Elsewhere, whenever possible equipment in good working order is redeployed within UTS. After that, items are sold and hopefully have a new life beyond UTS. Some equipment is donated to charity, and finally obsolete or broken equipment is sent to e-waste recyclers with a 98% recovery rate.
Ways you can help
- Switch off electronic equipment when not in use - computers, lab and digital equipment, etc.
- Ensure toner cartridges are recycled
- Recycle your mobile phones and personal computers. Details here
- Consider whether you really need the latest gadget, maybe the old one still meets your needs