UTS Science has strong research culture and excellent record in research development, which is essential to facilitate quality research degrees. It contributes about 40 per cent of UTS total research activities and outputs.
Its research focuses on increasing impacts and to meet the needs of the community, and society with outcomes that change lives.
The ATN Industry Training Doctoral Centre is an initiative where we connect PhD students with industry for the benefit of society.
Real life research outcomes
Some examples of our research with real outcomes include:
- inventing a more accessible diagnostic kit for cystic fibrosis
- developing eco-friendly pesticide using venoms
- using gene therapy to treat diabetes by using the liver as a surrogate
- developing innovative treatments to fight prostate cancer without harming healthy cells
- developing new cooling products from paints to radiate cooling, and use natural lights more efficiently as sustainable energy sources
- profiling forensic DNA in the criminal justice system including DNA statistics
- using novel methods to detect biochemical changes following exposure to toxic and carcinogenic substances
- understanding invasive species and how naturalised plants can become successful invaders
- exploring relationships among water use efficiency, climate and hydraulic architecture of Australian trees
- choosing experiments to improve predictive power for policy makers.
We encourage you to explore our research areas to better understand their focus, research projects and aims.