If you’re a first year Bachelor of Communication student in either a single or combined degree (except Law), you must select another area of study in addition to your principal major. This is referred to as your ‘second major stream’.
You’ll enrol and undertake two subjects (16cp) of your second major stream (excluding Media Arts and Production), one in each session. After you’ve received your results, you can apply via e-request to add the stream you’ve chosen as a second major, if you meet the eligibility criteria.
If you choose not to proceed with a second major, or don’t meet the eligibility criteria to continue on with your second major then don’t worry. You don’t need to do anything. You will be able to continue on with your course by choosing elective subjects.
After results are released, you’ll be able to apply for your second major if you’ve met the following criteria:
- successfully completed a minimum of 24 credit points (3 subjects) which includes one completed subject from your second major stream and
- achieved an overall GPA of 2.75 or above.
If you have completed more than 48 credit points (6 subjects) you may still be eligible to apply to continue on in your chosen second major. However you need to be aware that due to subject offering and subject progression, your course duration may be extended.
You will need to submit an e-request providing a supporting statement of why you haven’t applied at an earlier date and why your application should now be approved.
These applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the School of Communication.
If you meet the above eligibility criteria, send an e-request to the Student Centre and ask for your chosen second major to be added to your study plan.
- Bachelor of Communication (All Majors)
- Bachelor of Communication (All Majors) Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- Bachelor of Communication (All Majors) Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation
Frequently asked questions
When will my results be available?
Where do I find my GPA?
Your GPA is recorded as part of your academic record available via My Student Admin after results are released – follow these steps:
- View results
- Find GPA
- Submite e-request
How do I submit an e-Request?
Online enquiries and eRequests can be submitted via Ask UTS
What if I don’t meet the eligibility criteria?
If your overall GPA is below 2.75 based on your first session of study, continue working hard in your next session of study to attain the required GPA. In order to meet the criteria you will also need to undertake at least one subject from your second major stream before applying.
For example, if you commence in Autumn session and get a GPA of 2.5, continue working hard in Spring session to achieve a higher GPA of 2.75 or greater. You will then be able to apply to continue on with your second major after Spring session results.
You must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the session in which you wish to apply for your second major.
If you still don’t achieve a GPA of 2.75 after two sessions of study, you can still submit an e-request with a supporting statement of why you haven’t applied at an earlier date and why your application should now be approved. These applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the School of Communication.
What happens if I have the required GPA but I don’t want to do the second major?
In this case, you don’t have to do anything. You will still need to finish your second major stream which is two subjects from another major (16 credit points). Once you have completed your second major stream, you will just continue in your course by undertaking electives instead of the rest of the second major subjects. This will be your default study plan.
If I don’t have a GPA of 2.75 or more after Autumn results release, do I still complete the second subject from my second major stream in Spring session?
Yes. You’ve already been enrolled in that subject and you’ll complete your Spring enrolment as normal. All students need to undertake the two subjects in their second major stream.
I don’t like the second major stream I’m in and don’t want to continue on with it. What should I do?
All students are required to complete their second major stream which is composed of two subjects from another major (excluding Media Arts and Production).
Once you have completed your second major stream, you do not have to apply to continue in your second major if you don’t want to. You will be able to continue your degree with elective subjects instead.
Your enrolment will default to the electives stream as per the Handbook, so you don’t need to contact the Student Centre.
There are rules around changing your second major stream depending on the stage that you are at with your subject selection for your second major stream.
- Changing your second major stream before Census Date:
If you’ve chosen your second major stream and you want to withdraw from your first subject before the census date, then you can be approved to change your second major.
Please send an e-request to the Student Centre with your change of second major stream.
If you withdraw prior to the last date to enrol/add a subject for the session, you can change your second major stream and still enrol in the first subject of your new choice of second major.
- Changing your second major stream after Census Date:
- It is not recommended that you change your second major after census date. However, if you still wish to do so, please send an e-request seeking approval from the Head of School.
- You won’t be able to enrol in the first subject of your new second stream as it will be past the last date to enrol/add a subject for the session, and it will be post census date.
- If you withdraw from a subject post census date, you will incur both an academic and financial penalty for the subject.
- Changing your second major stream that you haven’t commenced yet:
- As per the recommended programme of study, all students should have commenced their second major stream subjects in their first session of study.
- If you delay commencing your second major stream and choose to apply to continue on with your second major at a later date, you may end up with an increased course duration.
- If you haven’t started your second major stream and you wish to make a change, please send an e-request to the Student Centre
- Completed one subject in your second major and you’ve decided you don’t want to proceed with it:
- If you’ve started your second major stream and completed one subject in that stream, then you are unable to change your second major stream.
- If you wish to make a case to override this rule, please lodge an e-request with a justification for changing and requesting approval from the School of Communication.
I have credit exemptions on my study plan. Does this information apply to me?
Maybe. It will depend on how much credit you have received exemptions for and the subjects that have been exempted. Please visit or email the Student Centre so they can look at your study plan.
I’m not enrolled in a full-time load for Autumn session. Does this information apply to me?
It is recommended that all students enrol in a full-time load so that they don’t run into subject progression issues later in their course. Students are advised to enrol in the typical program for their course as outlined in the Online Handbook.
However, if you have met the eligibility criteria outlined above, then you can also apply to continue on in your chosen second major.
I’m studying a combined degree. Does this information apply to me?
Yes. The same eligibility criteria and process apply if your combined degree is:
- The Bachelor of Arts in International Studies, or
- The Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation.
Please note that this information is not valid if you’re studying the combined Bachelor of Laws.