This privacy notice covers how UTS uses and manages information we collect from you, and how you can contact us about your information or how we communicate with you. This notice may be updated at any time and is available online.
Collecting your information
UTS collects personal information from you for particular purposes (see collection purposes section below).
Information collected may include your name, contact details, current school/institution or employer, preferences, courses and areas of interest. Information about your event attendance and application status may also be recorded.
Your information will usually be collected directly from you. If you are under 16 years of age, you are required to obtain approval from your parent or legal guardian before providing your information to UTS. If you are a past student or short course participant, the details may be taken from existing information held by the university.
UTS may also collect your information from others where applications or enquiries are relevant to UTS courses. For instance:
- the University Admissions Centre (UAC)
- a parent
- a school or related school program you are attending
- course finder or campaign sites that may advertise UTS course offerings on our behalf, or
- social media sites where you have shown an interest in UTS course offerings and registered your details
- UTS Insearch, where your enquiry relates to a course offered by UTS. Similarly, if you make an enquiry to UTS about a course run buy UTS Insearch, your information will be provided to UTS Insearch for them to respond. In this case, you may refer to UTS Insearch’s privacy notice.
Note: If you are a parent or guardian, your contact details may have been provided to UTS by your child.
Your information will be used to:
- communicate with you and provide you with details about course offerings, upcoming events and university key dates. Information you provide may also be used to develop and provide communications that are more tailored, targeted, individualised and/or personalised. This may include communications provided to you through social media
- manage the university’s marketing activities and events
- review and assess how effective marketing and events have been. This may include cross-referencing attendance at events with future applications for study
- review trends in how enquiries result in enrolments through to completion of a course. This supports quality improvements, development of marketing campaigns and improves student experience
- conduct market research for the purposes of course development, communications testing and other marketing strategy initiatives.
Social media and online advertising
UTS also advertises to people more generally based on what they do online. This is called behavioural advertising. The university’s website privacy statement explains how this type of advertising works and how you may stop receiving this type of advertising.
Disclosing your information
Your information may be provided to industry partners or other service providers who are contracted by UTS to communicate on our behalf. Your information will not be given to other organisations unless it is required or permitted by law.
Managing your information
Make sure your contact details are correct and kept up to date.
You can make a request to access, correct, restrict the processing of, or delete your information. To make such a request or make a complaint about how your information is handled, contact the relevant area of UTS (see contacts section below).
UTS will keep your information for the purposes covered above (under collection purposes), and as a record of communications with you. Your information may be stored overseas with an external company under contract with UTS. Records are kept by UTS to meet legal retention requirements.
You can stop receiving emails about courses or events at any time by using the unsubscribe link in any of the emails we’ve sent you. You can also unsubscribe by contacting the relevant area of UTS (see contacts section below).
If you unsubscribe, you may still receive emails from UTS if you have given your contact details for other reasons. You may also receive online advertising from other types of advertising campaigns (see the online advertising section above).
To ask questions about this notice, get a copy of the notice or make any of the requests this notice covers:
- prospective local students, contact the Marketing and Communications Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on (02) 9514 1711
- prospective international students, contact UTS International at email@example.com or by phone on +61 2 9514 1531.
For further information about privacy and the university’s privacy contacts, see privacy at UTS.