On your placement, you need to wear:
- the UTS purple Polo shirt
- black pants, or knee length black skirt (not leggings or active wear)
- appropriate footwear
- Student ID card
- UTS name badge
You can order the UTS polo shirts online from Activate UTS.
Shoes need to:
- Be black leather or leather like shoes
- Fully enclosed – to comply with occupational health and safety standards
- Have non-slip soles
- Have low heels
- Be professional in appearance (no athletic shoes)
- Be clean and polished
- Be in good condition
- Be comfortable – you’ll be standing on your feet for long periods of time.
Religious and cultural attire
The following items of cultural clothing are permissible. They must be lightweight black or navy fabric, and tucked in or pinned down.
- A hijab, headscarf or jilbab
- Arm coverings; must be pulled up above your elbow in all clinical situations
- A patka or keski
The following items are not permitted:
- Full turban
A wedding ring and a single pair of stud earrings are allowed, no other jewellery can be worn.
Watches are also acceptable but must:
- be digital or
- have a second hand
- sharp edges,
- fancy bands or
- large buckles
Most healthcare facilities will need you to wear a uniform, however, some might not.
If you’re placed in a facility that doesn’t require a uniform you’re still expected to dress in a professional manner. Your attire needs to be:
- Clean, neat and in good condition
- In keeping with the standards of the facility you’re placed with
- Loose enough to allow for ease of movement
- Shoes should be fully enclosed with low heels.
The following attire is not acceptable:
- Singlet or midriff tops
- Open toe shoes or crocs
- Large logos or advertisements on clothing
- Low-rise pants, jeans, or leggings (active wear)
- Mini skirts
- Fringing or fraying on clothing
- Beach-style clothes such as shorts.
Student ID card
Your student ID card will be issued to you by the university when you enrol at the start of the year.
- Carrying student ID card: you are expected to carry your student ID card on a retractable cord that you can clip onto the top of your trousers or knee-length skirt.
- Retractable cord and clip: you can purchase this at the Coop Bookshop, Broadway campus or UTS Convenience Store.
I lost my student ID card
You can apply online for a replacement card. A fee will be charged.
Name badges are available from the Clinical Practice Unit. Please ensure you keep this badge in a safe place. You’ll need to use it for each placement throughout your degree.
I lost my name badge
Please contact the Clinical Practice Unit. Replacement badges will incur a fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about nail polish, long or artificial nails or false eyelashes?
No. It’s important to have very good hygiene in healthcare. Nails can carry infectious bacteria. Your nails need to be short and clean.