WJ & LM Sinclair Scholarship in Engineering
Up to $100,000
Paid over 5 years
The WJ & LM Sinclair Scholarship in Engineering aims to support applicants who have the personal potential and commitment to study engineering, are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and/or are from financially disadvantaged background.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be:
- Australian citizens; and
- Apply through UAC for an Equity Scholarship or the Educational Access Scheme and therein demonstrate financial disadvantage and/or other educational barriers, including;
- Have carer responsibilities
- Are from regional and remote areas;
- Have language difficulties, including from a non-English speaking background;
- Refugee background;
- Have a disability or long-term medical condition;
- Are a sole parent;
- Are an Indigenous Australian;
- Experienced educational disruption and/or personal hardship;
- Commencing their first year of an undergraduate BEng(Hon)DipProfEngPrac Engineering degree or combined Engineering program at UTS; and
- Either a current or non-current school leaver with an ATAR (or equivalent) of 80 or above; or
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicant, with an ATAR (or equivalent) of 69 or above or have received an offer through the Jumbunna Direct Entry Program; and
- For the duration of the Scholarship: full-time enrolment in the BEng(Hon)DipProfEngPrac degree or combined Engineering degree; and
- All candidates must apply using the UTS online Scholarships Application form to be eligible; and
- All candidates must be available to attend an interview in person.
- Preference is given to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants.
- Evidence of financial need and/or multiple other educational barriers as assessed by the UAC Equity Scholarship or Educational Access Scheme application.
- Academic merit.
- Motivation to succeed in their undergraduate Engineering course as demonstrated in the scholarship application and interview.
- Initiative in extra-curricular and non-academic activities as demonstrated in the scholarship application and interview.
How to apply
All candidates for the WJ and LM Sinclair Scholarship in Engineering must apply using the online Scholarship Application Form and follow any further instructions outlined on the form.
Subject to meeting the eligibility criteria for both scholarships by completing this application form you will also considered for:
- Linden Little Equity Scholarship in Engineering
- The Eleanor Dunn Scholarship in Engineering
Applications for these scholarships close at midnight Monday 09 March 2020.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Need more information? Contact...
When applying through UAC for UTS Equity Scholarships, Family Tax Benefit will not be considered as demonstrative of financial hardship. Only applicants receiving a Centrelink means-tested income support payment, or demonstrating exceptional financial hardship with supporting evidence will be considered.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you will need to apply to Centrelink (or make a claim) for the Youth Allowance/Abstudy or other Centrelink benefit applicable to you. Your application may still be considered for these Equity Scholarships once you have provided evidence of a Centrelink (or other Commonwealth) means-tested income support payment (such as Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy) on the basis of your previously submitted application for the 2018 -19 period.
Steps to update your details:
- Apply for a means-tested income support payment (such as Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy) via Centrelink - click on `Register' online. Centrelink will provide you with your own Centrelink Reference Number (CRN)
- For applicants who applied for an Engineering Equity Scholarships through the UAC Equity Scholarship:
- Go to Equity Scholarships Applicant Services at UAC to add your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to your existing 2018 - 19 UAC Equity Scholarship application;
- For applicants who applied for the UAC Educational Access Scheme:
- Please apply for a UAC Equity Scholarship with your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN). Apply at uac.edu.au/equity/
- You must submit or update your details on UAC website by the closing date.