Mineral Economics and Capital Markets
Tuition fee - Up to 3 years PhD
Stipend - Up to 3 years
An opportunity exists for talented technically minded candidates to apply for entry into the PhD program at the University of Technology Sydney. Successful applicant(s) will enroll in the PhD program in the School of Accounting. The research project(s) relate to issues in the extractive (mining) industries and will be supervised by Professor Andrew Ferguson. Andrew has successfully supervised to completion a number of PhD students in the mining financial economics area. Problems include questions around mining company valuation, mining industry regulation, accounting and taxation problems in the extractive industries and those relating to specific commodities, amongst others. The setting takes advantage of large numbers (typically more than 500-600 in any given year) of mining companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange.
Who is eligible?
Eligible applicants must have the following necessary attributes:
- An Honours or Masters level degree in a technical discipline such as computer science, engineering, finance, accounting or a mining specific field such as geology. Practical experience in a mining company setting is also advantageous;
- A desire to undertake rigorous empirical capital markets or accounting research related to the extractive industries at a higher level; and
- English language proficiency is required for entry to UTS. Any of the options below apply to Business research degrees:
- IELTS (Academic): 7.0 overall, writing 7.0,
- TOEFL (Internet-based): 94-101 overall, writing 23
- PTE (Academic): 65-72
- CAE: 185-190
- AE5/AE6 (PASS): AE6.
- Skills in computer programming languages such as Unix open source applications like AWK, Python, C++ would be well regarded. Candidates with mine planning or resource modelling software experience would also be viewed favorably. Preferred candidates will have strong data management skills in excel and possibly experience in statistics software applications such as STATA.
Need more information? Contact...
*Tuition fee waivers are available for international students entering UTS under this opportunity.
*There are merit based faculty scholarships associated with opportunity.
*There are teaching opportunities and research assistant work available within the School of Accounting associated with this role.