Blackfriars Children's Centre is located on the historic Blackfriars campus, just off Broadway at Chippendale. It is tucked away in a secluded, leafy and quiet setting, 500m from the main Broadway campus of UTS.
|Enrolment||full and part-time|
|Opening hours||8.00am - 6.00pm, Mon - Fri|
|50 weeks a year, excluding public holidays|
In relation to children
- All children have a right to be active participants in their own learning and are empowered to express their views and ideas.
- In following children’s interests, building on their strengths and guiding them to resource their own learning, children are supported by educators to be co-constructors of knowledge and understanding.
- Children are seen as competent initiators of their own learning and educator’s role is to support, guide and mentor children on their unique journey.
In relation to education
- The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child states that all children have a right to an education which allows them to develop to their full potential.
- Our role as educators is to ensure we are actively observing children’s interests, building on spontaneous happenings, and engaging children in intentional teaching, planned learning environments and experiences all linking into the “Early Years Learning Framework”.
- We believe the child’s voice should be heard. We incorporate arrange of spontaneous experiences as well as use documentation to show how children are contributing to their own learning, routines and environment.
In relation to the environment
- We aim to create a welcoming and nurturing environment where each child and the cultural background and diversity of our families is reflected.
- We strive to create a safe environment that connects with the outdoor environments and natural surroundings.
- The educators encourage every child to take responsibility for and look after our environment through stimulating and engaging in experiences of sustainable practice. We believe this will build their awareness, understanding and value of sustainability throughout their lifetime.
In relation to families and communities
- It is a privilege to partner with families in raising authentic children. We continually strive to provide high quality care that gives families peace of mind and reassurance. We respect each family's uniqueness and encourage collaboration and experiences that aim to respect this diversity and challenge stereotypes and biases. We aim for every child and family to feel a sense of belonging.
- We are a centre that is aware of our community, its needs and strengths. We believe that our community is not only a valuable resource but an avenue to develop a sense of empathy and support to those who are less fortunate than ourselves. We strive to actively ‘give back’ to our community through outreach programs and community events.
In relation to our professional team
- Reflection and respectful interactions are paramount in building an atmosphere of trust and respect.
- Through open communication, respecting different points of view and using constructive methods of decision making we aim to develop a team where everyone works together and supports each team member.
- We recognise that all members of our team have strength as well as areas for development. By sharing knowledge, resources and ideas we will continuously build on team strengths.
We understand the needs of children and their families, the community and our team are constantly changing, and therefore ongoing evaluation is paramount to creating a service that is responsive to those needs.
Centre Director: Metta Booth
Location: 2 Blackfriars St, Chippendale NSW 2008
Postal address: PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007
Phone: 9514 2959
Fax: 9514 2961