Blackfriars Children's Centre is located on the historic Blackfriars campus, just off Broadway at Chippendale. It is tucked away in a secluded, leafy and quiet setting, 500m from the main Broadway campus of UTS.
|Enrolment||full and part-time|
|Opening hours||8.00am - 6.00pm, Mon - Fri|
|50 weeks a year, excluding public holidays|
Our philosophy is underpinned by our beliefs in fostering respect within the children by demonstrating respect for others, the learning environment, and ourselves.
In relation to children and education:
- All children have the right to be active participants in their own learning and are empowered to express their views and ideas.
- In following children’s interests, building on their strengths and guiding them to resource their own learning, children are supported by educators and families to be co-constructors of knowledge and understanding.
- We believe children are competent initiators of their own learning and the educator’s role is to support, guide and mentor children on their learning journey.
- We believe that “all children have a right to an education which allows them to develop their full potential” (UN Convention of the Rights of the Child)
- Our educational program is based on current pedagogical approaches which build on the children’s natural sense of wonder in everyday learning.
- Children’s voices are heard throughout our indoor and outdoor program. Our program incorporates both planned and spontaneous experiences and children’s learning is made visible through our educational program.
In relation to our environment:
- We aim to create a welcoming, nurturing and safe environment where each child and family’s cultural background and diversity are reflected and respected.
- We believe in embedding sustainability approaches into our everyday practices.
In relation to families and communities
- We value collaborative partnerships with families in supporting children to become the happiest and healthiest versions of themselves.
- We strive for every child and family to feel a sense of belonging.
- We believe that fostering our sense of community is an integral part of what we do.
In relation to our professional team:
- Reflection and respectful interactions are paramount in building an atmosphere of trust and respect.
- We recognize and value that each staff member’s many unique strengths and skills, and sharing knowledge, resources and ideas we ensure that we continue to grow and develop as a team.
- Each team member plays a valuable role in building and maintaining positive relationships with children families and each other.
We understand the needs of children and their families, the community and our team are constantly changing, and therefore ongoing evaluation is paramount to creating a service that is responsive to those needs.
Centre Director: Loren O'Connell
Location: 2 Blackfriars St, Chippendale NSW 2008
Postal address: PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007
Phone: 9514 2959
Fax: 9514 2961