Centre for Green Technology
The Centre for Green Technology aims to develop novel technology for future clean fuels, vehicle emissions measurement, and environmental decontamination.
Our research focus
GET IN TOUCH
Professor John Zhou
Our research focus stems from global initiatives seeking to develop technologies for sustainable growth. With multi-disciplinary approach, our centre has the following strengths:
1. Vehicle emissions and air quality
2. Renewable energy generation and storage
3. Waste valorisation and environmental decontamination
- Professor John Zhou, Centre Director
Research interests: environmental photocatalysis, combustion emission monitoring, energy from waste, biochar
- Distinguished Professor T M Indra Mahlia
Research interests: energy & fuels, techno-economic analysis, life cycle cost, energy and environment, renewable energy systems, engine combustion
- Professor Nong Zhang
Research interests: hybrid propulsion systems, vehicle dynamics, multibody system dynamics
- Dr Zhenguo Huang, Deputy Director, Senior Lecturer
Research interests: hydrogen production, hydrogen storage, electrolyte materials, boron nanomaterials
Dr Zhenguo Huang leads the Hydrogen Energy Program at UTS
- Dr Ali Altaee, Senior Lecturer
Research interests: desalination, membrane technologies, water and wastewater treatment, soil remediation, renewable energy, optimization and machine learning
- Dr Nic Surawski, Lecturer
Research interests: vehicle emissions, air quality, alternative fuels, environmental monitoring and modelling
- Dr Wengui Li, Senior Lecturer, DECRA
Research interests: recycled aggregate concrete, solid waste recovery for concrete, and sustainable construction materials
- Dr Peter Irga, Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Research interests: air quality, atmospheric environment, biofiltration and sustainability
- Dr Yuhan Huang, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Research interests: air quality and vehicle emissions, internal combustion engines, computational fluid dynamics, renewable energy
- Dr Md Mofijur Rahman, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Research interests: alternative fuel, IC engine combustion, biofuel, biodiesel, biomass, air pollution, energy conversion, vehicle emission
- Dr Paul Walker, Senior Lecturer, DECRA
Research interests: Powertrain hybridization and electrification, powertrain dynamics and control, vibration analysis
- Adjunct Professor W.C. Mok
- Adjunct Professor Edward F.C. Chan
Current PhD students
- Xu, B. (2017 - present) Photocatalysis of perfluorooctanoic acid by TiO2 and Ga2O3 assisted with peroxymonosulfate under UV and visible light irradiation. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Ghobadi, R. (2017 - present) Contaminated land remediation by electrokinetic process. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Organ, B (2017 - present) Remote sensing application for the detection of engine emissions. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Nguyen, K. (2018 - present) River water pollution in Vietnam. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Gomes, S. (2018 - present) Water treatment sludge as construction materials. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Navidpour, A. (2019 - present) Nanostructured visible light photocatalyst for water decontamination. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Hosseinzadeh, A. (2019 - present) Removal of trace organics from wastewater using membrane-based technology. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
Palanisami, S. (2019 - present) Hydroponic wastewater treatment. Principle supervisor: Prof John Zhou.
- Luo, Z. (2017 - present) Micromechanical Properties and Microstructure of Alkali Activated Fly Ash Concrete. Principle supervisor: Dr Wengui Li
- Tang, Z. (2017 - present) Formulation and Properties of Fly Ash/Slag Geopolymer Concrete With Recycled Aggregates. Principle supervisor: Dr Wengui Li
- The design and development of a multi-lane facing-down remote sensing of emissions (MFRSE) system, VTC-UTS-HKU Collaborative Research Grant, Research Grants Council, HK$ 4,015,000, 2020-2022.
- Evaluation of eco-driving technology for reducing fuel consumption and emissions. Environment and Conservation Fund (Project No.: ECF Project 56/2018), HK$ 492,184, 2019-2020.
- On the rapid plume mixing in vehicle wakes and its implication to practical models of pollutant dispersion after line sources. Environment and Conservation Fund (Project No.: ECF Project 26/2018), HK$ 500,000, 2019-2020.
- To examine the feasibility of using carbon dioxide as a tracer gas to study the dispersion of tailpipe exhausts in an urban canyon. Environment and Conservation Fund (Project No.: ECF Project 14/2018), HK$ 440,527, 2019-2020.
Selected recent publications
Ahmed, M.B., Johir, M.A.H., Zhou, J.L., Ngo, H.H., Nghiem, D.L., Richardson, C., Moni, M.A., Bryant, M.R., Activated carbon preparation from biomass feedstock: clean production and carbon dioxide adsorption. Journal of Cleaner Production 2019; 225: 405-413.
Huang, Y., Ng, E.C.Y., Yam, Y.S., Lee, C.K.C., Surawski, N.C., Mok, W.C., Organ, B., Zhou, J.L., Chan, E.F.C., Impact of potential engine malfunctions on fuel consumption and gaseous emissions of a Euro VI diesel truck. Energy Conversion and Management 2019; 184: 521-529.
- Huang, Y., Organ, B., Zhou, J.L., Surawski, N.C., Yam, Y.S., Chan, E.F.C., Characterisation of diesel vehicle emissions and determination of remote sensing cutpoints for diesel high-emitters. Environmental Pollution 2019; 252: 31-38.
- Huang, Y., Surawski, N.C., Organ, B., Zhou, J.L., Tang, O.H.H., Chan, E.F.C., Fuel consumption and emissions performance under real driving: Comparison between hybrid and conventional vehicles. Science of the Total Environment 2019; 659: 275-282.
Luo, Z., Li, W., Tam, V., Xiao, J., Shah, S.P., Current progress on nanotechnology application in recycled aggregate concrete. Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials 2019, 8(2): 79-96.
- Tang, Z., Hu, Y., Tam, V.W.Y., Li, W., Uniaxial compressive behaviours of fly ash/slag-based geopolymer concrete with recycled aggregates. Cement & Concrete Composites 2019, 104: 103375.
- Xu, B., Zhou, J.L., Altaee, A., Ahmed, M.B., Johir, M.A.H., Ren, J., Li, X., Improved photocatalysis of perfluorooctanoic acid in water by Ga2O3/UV system assisted by peroxymonosulfate. Chemosphere 2020; 239: 124722.