UTS site search

Fees and payment

Refunds and remissions

Refund due to overpayment

If you have made an overpayment towards your tuition fees, or have withdrawn from a subject  before the census date, you may be eligible for a refund of any tuition fees already paid for that session.

The refund process will differ depending on the type of student you are:

Domestic student refund due to overpayment

If you have paid more than you needed to, or if you have formally withdrawn from a subject or your course, or have applied for a leave of absence before the Census Date, you may be eligible for a refund of any tuition fees already paid for that session.

Refunds are usually paid via an electronic funds transfer (EFT).

In order to receive a refund you need to:

  • Enter your bank account details under the Personal tab within My Student Admin
  • Submit an online enquiry to request your refund via Ask UTS.  Please ensure you log in via My Student Portal.

 If you are no longer enrolled in a course at UTS and do not have access to My Student Portal you can request a refund in one of the following ways:

  • EFT - visit one of the UTS Student Centres, in person, and complete the 'Bank Account Details for Former UTS Students' form.  You will be required to show your current photo ID
  • Cheque - visit Ask UTS then click on Ask a question tab and request UTS to issue you with a refund cheque.  Please ensure your full name, date of birth, Student ID number, the course you were enrolled in, and current postal address.

Please allow up to 2-3 weeks for your refund to be processed, once your request is received.

Refund or remission due to special circumstances

You can apply for a refund of upfront tuition fees, a remission of HECS-HELP debt, or a re-credit of FEE-HELP balance if:

  • you were unable to continue studying and withdrew from a subject(s) after the census date had passed, or
  • you were unable to successfully complete the requirements of a subject(s), and   
  • you were affected by special circumstances.
You may submit a single application to apply for no academic and no financial penalty.
However, if you are applying for refund or remission in the current teaching period you must withdraw from the subject(s) before submitting the application form.
An eRequest should be submitted to withdraw from any subject(s) after the census date has passed.  If you are still enrolled in the subject(s), your application will not be assessed. 
Applications will not be approved where no special circumstances exist.  A lack of knowledge or understanding of administrative requirements or deadlines is not considered to be special circumstances beyond a person’s control.
If special circumstances do not apply to you, but you still believe you have a genuine case where your ability to continue studying was affected by circumstances beyond your control, you may apply for withdrawal without academic penalty ONLY. Submit your request together with a personal statement outlining your situation via  eRequest. You will still be required to supply independent documentation to support your claims.
Note: The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is non refundable for students who withdraw after the census date, and any SA-HELP debt incurred will not be remitted, regardless of circumstances.

What are special circumstances? 

Special circumstances are those that are generally considered to be unusual or uncommon, and were not able to be foreseen prior to the census date.
You must be able to demonstrate that the special circumstances that apply were:
  • beyond your control, and
  • did not occur or make their full impact on you until on or after the census date, and
  • made it impracticable for you to successfully complete the requirements for the subject(s).

Examples of special circumstances 

  • You have a medical condition that existed prior to the census date, continued past that date, and deteriorated to the extent that you were unable to continue your studies, or your medical condition only became known after the census date and you were unable to continue with your studies. You will need to provide a supporting medical letter from your doctor or counsellor.
  • Due to unforeseen personal/family reasons that occur or worsen after the census date and that are beyond your control, you are unable to continue with your studies . You will need to provide a supporting letter from your family doctor or counsellor.
  • After the census date, your employment status or arrangements change unexpectedly due to circumstances beyond your control, and you are unable to complete your studies. You will need to provide a supporting letter from your employer. Choosing to increase your hours of work or undertaking new or additional employment is not regarded as beyond your control, and is not considered as special circumstances.
  • Students required to be engaged in active service (e.g. ADF Reserves, Bushfire and SES services), will be considered under this category.
  • If the university changes the arrangements for your subject or course and, as a result, you are disadvantaged to the extent that you are unable to complete the requirements of the subject. A supporting letter from your Faculty is required.

Application process for special circumstances fee refund 

If special circumstances exist and you plan to withdraw from your course, you can apply for a:

When submitting the special circumstances fee refund application form (PDF 356kB, 4 pages), please read it carefully so that your application is complete and ensure that you have attached the appropriate certified or original supporting documentation.

Your application must reach UTS within 12 months from the date specified by the university as the day your withdrawal takes effect.
If you have not withdrawn from your subjects(s) or have not been given a notice of withdrawal from the university, your application must reach the university within 12 months from the last day of the teaching period in which you were enrolled in the subject(s). These time limits apply to all teaching periods.
These dates are set by legislation and applications received after these dates cannot be considered.
When your completed application is received you will:
  • receive an acknowledgment email with a case number.  If you don’t receive this email within two weeks, please contact us via Ask UTS.

  • be advised of the outcome within 6 weeks 

Once the decision on your application is made, if you are not satisfied with the result, you can apply for a review.

Assessment of your application 

Although this is a combined application process, decisions on academic penalty are independent from decisions on remission / re-credit of HELP debt / refund of upfront payment, and are determined solely by the university.  Separate assessments will be made, and the outcome of these assessments may or may not be the same.
Your request for remission of HELP debt / refund of upfront payment (no financial penalty) will be assessed solely against the criteria for special circumstances which are set under legislation - the Higher Education Support Act (HESA) 2003.
Your request for no academic penalty will be assessed against the criteria for special circumstances, however your academic progression will also be taken into consideration and your Faculty Responsible Academic Officer (RAO) may be consulted.

Review of decision - No Financial Penalty Only 

If you disagree with the decision, you have the right to apply for a review (in writing) within 28 days from the date you first received notice of the decision. Your request must include:
  • the date of the decision; and
  • state the reasons you are requesting a review of the decision, and
  • any additional evidence that you think is relevant and will assist your case in meeting the special circumstances criteria.
An independent Review Officer will assess your application.    A review consists of:
  • a review the original decision;
  • assessment any new evidence you provide;
  • a written notice of the review decision.

Review by Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)  (CSP and FEE-HELP students)  

If your appeal is unsuccessful and you still disagree with the review decision, you have the right to appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) within 28 days of receiving the 'notice of review decision'. 

The university will forward all documents relating to your case and if you have any additional documentation you should include this in your appeal to AAT.

You will be provided with further information about this process at the time you are notified of the review decision.

For further information, visit: www.aat.gov.au

Further information on supporting documentation.

UTS Statement of Protocol on Refund of Fees

This protocol is currently unavailable, as it is under review. If you have any questions about the protocol please contact the Fees Team at student.fees@uts.edu.au.