- March. 2015 – Aug. 2018: PhD of Materials Science
Advisor: Prof. Guoxiu Wang
Centre for Clean Energy Technology, University of Technology, Sydney
- Nov. 2017 – Aug: 2018: Visiting PhD Candidate (Materials Science)
Co-Advisor: Prof. Yury Gogosti
- Sep. 2011 – May. 2014: Master of Engineering (Nonferrous metallurgy)
Advisor: Prof. Zhian Zhang
School of Metallurgy & Environment, Central South University, Changsha, China
- Sep. 2007 – Jun. 2011: Bachelor of Engineering (Metallurgy)
Advisor: Prof. Yongmao Zhou
School of Metallurgy & Environment, Central South University, Changsha, China
Honors and Awards
- Jul. 2017 Winner of “Paper of the Month Award”, Faculty of Science
- Feb. 2017 UTS VC Conference Fund
- Sep. 2016 Winner of “Paper of the Month Award”, Faculty of Science
- Feb. 2015 International Research Scholarship (UTS IRS)
- Feb. 2014 Hunan Province “Outstanding Graduate Student”
- Sep. 2013 Postgraduate National Scholarship
- Sep. 2012 “XIAN DAO” Scholarship
- Nov. 2012 Top 4th in Graduate Basketball Competition of CSU
- Bao, W. ; Liu, L.; Wang, C.; Choi, S.; Wang, D.; Wang, G., 2018. Facile Synthesis of Crumpled Nitrogen?Doped MXene Nanosheets as a New Sulfur Host for Lithium–Sulfur Batteries. Advanced Energy Materials. Impact factor: 21.875. (Selected as cover of the issue in March 2018)
- Bao, W.; Su, D.;Zhang, W.;Guo, X.; Wang, G. 3D Metal Carbide@Mesoporous Carbon Hybrid Architecture as a New Polysulfide Reservoir for Lithium–Sulfur Batteries. Advanced Functional Materials 2016, 26, 8746-8756. Impact factor: 13.30.
- Bao, W.;Mondal, A. K.;Xu, J.;Wang, C.;Su, D.; Wang, G. Journal of Power Sources 2016, 325, 286-291. Impact factor: 6.945.
- Bao, W.; X, Xie.; Xu, J.; Guo, X.; J, Song Su, D.; Wang, G.Chemistry–A European Journal, 2017, 23, 1-8. Impact factor: 5.16.
- Bao, W., Tang, X., Guo, X., Choi, S., Wang, C., Gogotsi, Y. and Wang, G., 2018. Porous cryo-dried MXene for efficient capacitive deionization. Joule. (Cell Publishing Group: Impact factor is not available until 2019. Highlight and preview paper by editor )
- Bao, W.;Zhang, Z.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.; Li, J. Journal of Power Sources 2014, 248, 570-576. Impact factor: 6.945.
- Bao, W.;Zhang, Z.;Chen, W.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.; Li, J. Electrochimica Acta 2014, 127, 342-348. Impact factor: 5.116.
- Bao, W.;Zhang, Z.;Qu, Y.;Zhou, C.;Wang, X.; Li, J. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2014, 582, 334-340. Impact factor: 3.779.
- Bao, W.;Zhang, Z.;Qu, Y.;Zhou, C.;Wang, X.; Li, J. Journal of Energy Chemistry, 2013, 22(5), pp.790-794. Impact factor: 4.385.
- Zhang, Z.; Bao, W.; Chen, W.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.; Li. ECS Electrochemistry Letters, 2012, 1(2), pp.A34-A37.
- Chen, W.;Zhang, Z.; Bao, W.; Lai, Y.;Li, J.;Gan, Y.; Wang, J. Electrochimica Acta 2014, 134, 293-301. Impact factor: 5.116.
- Xu, J.;Su, D.; Bao, W.; Wang, G. . Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2016, 684: 691-698. Impact factor: 3.779.
- Research experiences in material preparation, characterizations, and electrochemical testing of electroactive materials for energy storage applications.
- Skilled microscopist of Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM). Expertise on operation on JEOL FEGTEM 3000 (300KV, Atomic Resolution), JEM-2100F, JEM-2011 facilities.
- Good background on inorganic material crystal structure analysis based on the TEM and Rietveld refinement.
- Fully understand the solid state physics and skilled on Ab initio calculations based on density-functional theory (DFT).
- High proficiency with XRD, SEM/FESEM, AFM, Raman, NMR, Infra-red, UV-vis Spectroscopy.
- Proficiency in different chemical synthesis methods: hydrothermal, solid-state, co-precipitation, CVD, microwave reaction, spray pyrolysis etc.
- Skilled in electrode fabrication, cell assembly in a glovebox, various electrochemical techniques by using electrochemical workstation and battery tester facilities.
- Capabilities of data analysis and processing in an accurate and professional manner using the mathematic software, such as Matlab.
1. Synthesis and Fabrication of 3D electrode using 2D Carbides and Nitrides (MXenes) in energy storage device
- Synthesis and characterization of the MXenes@Mesoporous carbon hierarchical architecture.
- Fabrication of the composite electrodes (based on MXenes) for high-performance lithium–sulfur batteries and supercapacitors.
2. Research and application of 3D electrodes using Metal–organic frameworks (MOFs) in energy storage device
- Synthesis and characterization of Metal–organic frameworks derived carbon (MDC) (e.g. Multi–walled carbon nanotubes@mesoporous carbon hybrid nano-composites, Graphene oxide@mesoporous carbon hybrid nano-composites).
- Fabrication of hybrid electrodes (based on MOFs and MDCs materials) for high performance lithium sulfur batteries and supercapacitors.
Shanmukaraj, D, Kretschmer, K, Sahu, T, Bao, W, Rojo, T, Wang, G & Armand, M 2018, 'Highly Efficient, Cost Effective, and Safe Sodiation Agent for High-Performance Sodium-Ion Batteries.', ChemSusChem, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 3286-3291.View/Download from: UTS OPUS or Publisher's site
The development of sodium-ion batteries has been hindered so far by the large irreversible capacity of hard carbon anodes and other anode materials in the initial few cycles, as sodium ions coming from cathode materials is consumed in the formation of the solid-electrolyte interface (SEI) and irreversibly trapped in anodes. Herein, the successful synthesis of an environmentally benign and cost-effective sodium salt (Na2 C4 O4 ) is reported that could be applied as additive in cathodes to solve the irreversible-capacity issues of anodes in sodium-ion batteries. When added to Na3 (VO)2 (PO4 )2 F cathode, the cathode delivered a highly stable capacity of 135 mAh g-1 and stable cycling performance. The water-stable Na3 (VO)2 (PO4 )2 F cathode in combination with a water-soluble sacrificial salt eliminates the need for using any toxic solvents for laminate preparation, thus paving way for greener electrode fabrication techniques. A 100 % increase in capacity of sodium cells (full-cell configuration) has been observed when using the new sodium salt at a C-rate of 2C. Regardless of the electrode fabrication technique, this new salt finds use in both aqueous and non-aqueous cathode-fabrication techniques for sodium-ion batteries.
Bao, W, Xie, X, Xu, J, Guo, X, Song, J, Wu, W, Su, D & Wang, G 2017, 'Confined Sulfur in 3 D MXene/Reduced Graphene Oxide Hybrid Nanosheets for Lithium-Sulfur Battery.', Chemistry - A European Journal, vol. 23, no. 51, pp. 12613-12619.View/Download from: UTS OPUS or Publisher's site
Three-dimensional metal carbide MXene/reduced graphene oxide hybrid nanosheets are prepared and applied as a cathode host material for lithium-sulfur batteries. The composite cathodes are obtained through a facile and effective two-step liquid-phase impregnation method. Owing to the unique 3 D layer structure and functional 2 D surfaces of MXene and reduced graphene oxide nanosheets for effective trapping of sulfur and lithium polysulfides, the MXene/reduced graphene oxide/sulfur composite cathodes deliver a high initial capacity of 1144.2 mAh g-1 at 0.5 C and a high level of capacity retention of 878.4 mAh g-1 after 300 cycles. It is demonstrated that hybrid metal carbide MXene/reduced graphene oxide nanosheets could be a promising cathode host material for lithium-sulfur batteries.
Xu, J, Su, D, Bao, W, Zhao, Y, Xie, X & Wang, G 2016, 'Rose flower-like NiCo2O4 with hierarchically porous structures for highly reversible lithium storage', JOURNAL OF ALLOYS AND COMPOUNDS, vol. 684, pp. 691-698.View/Download from: Publisher's site
Bao, W, Mondal, AK, Xu, J, Wang, C, Su, D & Wang, G 2016, '3D hybrid-porous carbon derived from carbonization of metal organic frameworks for high performance supercapacitors', JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES, vol. 325, pp. 286-291.View/Download from: Publisher's site
Song, J, Su, D, Xie, X, Guo, X, Bao, W, Shao, G & Wang, G 2016, 'Immobilizing Polysulfides with MXene-Functionalized Separators for Stable Lithium-Sulfur Batteries', ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES, vol. 8, no. 43, pp. 29427-29433.View/Download from: Publisher's site
Xu, J, Su, D, Zhang, W, Bao, W & Wang, G 2016, 'A nitrogen-sulfur co-doped porous graphene matrix as a sulfur immobilizer for high performance lithium-sulfur batteries', JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY A, vol. 4, no. 44, pp. 17381-17393.View/Download from: UTS OPUS or Publisher's site
Automotive Australia 2020 Cooperative Research Centre (AutoCRC), UOW, CSRIO, The University of Adelaide
May. 2014 – Feb. 2015: Research scientist
A123 System Asia CO., LTD, Hangzhou, China.
Working with Dr. Xinbao Gao (Cell R&D Department) as a research scientist. Research topics includeresearch in Li-ion Cell R&D and Product Development for high power battery for electronic vehicle;Technology Transfer and Exchange (US and China).
May. 2011 – May. 2014: Research assistant
Ye Xiang Advanced Energy Technology Transfer Center, Changsha, China.
Working with Prof. Yexiang Liu--member of China Engineering Academy (Institute of Light Metals and Industrial Electrochemistry (ILMIE) as aGraduate Student Researcher. Research topics include research in Porous Carbon, Metal OrganicFramework (MOF) and their applications in electrochemical energy storage
China national invention patent
- Zhang, Z.; Bao, W.; Chen, W.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.; Li, J. [P] 201310428298.1 2013
- Zhang, Z.; Bao, W.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.; Li , J. [P] 201210264667.3 2012
- Zhang, Z.; Bao, W.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.; Li , J. [P] 201210535305.3 2012
- Zhang, Z.; Lai, Y.; Bao, W.; Chen, W.;Zhou, C.; Li, J [P] 201310397935.3 2013
- Zhang, Z.;Li, Q.; Bao, W.; Deng, Z.;Zhou, C.;Lai, Y.;[P]201310426664.X 2013
- Zhang, Z.;Jia, M.;Li, Q.; Bao, W.; Chen, W.;Lai, Y.; [P] 201210021615.3 2012