Indigenous Access Scholarship
The Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships assist Indigenous Australian university students from low income backgrounds. These Scholarships are designed to provide different levels of financial support to students with different levels of financial need.
If you are commencing in your first session of study in an undergraduate course or graduate diploma (in a Natioanl Priority Area), you should apply for an Indigenous Access Scholarship (IAS).
Value and duration
The Indigenous Access Scholarship is valued at $4,904 (2016 value) and is paid in the session of award.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for an Indigenous Access Scholarship, you must be:
- An Australian Indigenous student
- Commencing full-time in your first undergraduate Bachelor's degree, or your first Enabling course such as Jumbunna UNISTART.
- Able to demonstrate financial need through receipt of Centrelink benefits or proof of low income.
Course area(s)All courses.
When applying through UAC for UTS Equity Scholarships, Family Tax Benefit will not be considered as demonstrative of financial hardship. Only applicants receiving a Centrelink means-tested income support payment, or demonstrating exceptional financial hardship with supporting evidence will be considered.
If your situation changes after you have submitted your ES application, for example:
- you receive the Centrelink benefit you previously indicated you were expecting to receive;
- you believe you now qualify for another educational disadvantage; and/or
- you now have additional documentation supplementing an educational disadvantage that you believe affects your eligibility
Please submit the supporting documentation to UAC as soon as possible as this may affect your eligibility for an Equity Scholarship. Go to UAC Applicant Services to download your document package which outlines the required documentation you need to submit.
How to apply
All Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships can be applied for through the UAC Equity Scholarships website (opens an external site). Full instructions and the link to the online form can be accessed through the UAC Website during the UAC Equity Scholarship application period (3 August 2016 - 12 July 2017).
By submitting a UAC Equity Scholarship Application you will be considered for all Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships as well as the UTS Diversity Access Scholarship in the next available scholarship offer round.
2016 - 2017 Application Dates
UTS intends to make Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship offers progressively in both Autumn and Spring sessions in each academic year. Offers will be determined by the date you submit your application to UAC, and the submission of all requested supporting documentation to UAC. Specific offer dates are listed on the UAC Equity Scholarships website.
Spring 2016 Application Period
- Applications will be processed from June 2016 to September 2016
- Offers will be made progressively from July 2016 to October 2016
Autumn 2017 Application Period
- Applications will be processed from October 2016 to May 2017
- Offers will be made progressively from February 2017 to June 2017
Contact the UTS Scholarships Office for more information on application and offer dates.
Opening date: 03 August 2016
Closing date: 12 July 2017
For further information contact
UTS Scholarships Office
Phone: +61 2 9514 2527