Metamaterials for human vision and telecommunications scholarship
$26,682 per annum
Two PhD scholarships are available for the right candidates, working on Industry-Partnered PhD projects at the University of Technology, Sydney. The projects involve the design, numerical modelling, fabrication and experimental characterisation of structured materials with on-demand optical properties (metamaterials) to solve outstanding industry problems in telecommunication (project A in partnership with Finisar) and human vision (project B in partnership with Cylite).
UTS has an exceptional team of optical physicists, with expertise in optical theory, numerical modelling, nanofabrication and experimental characterisation. The projects will support collaborative work with external partners at the frontier of metamaterial fabrication.
Finisar is a global technology leader in optical communications. Their products enable high-speed voice, video and data communications for networking, storage, and wireless applications. For more than 25 years, they have created critical breakthroughs in optical technology. Cylite is a medical technology manufacturer aiming to revolutionise wavefront measurement and manipulation for human vision and related applications.
Who is eligible?
- Excellent master’s degree or bachelor’s degree with honours in physics or photonics
- Solid fundamental knowledge of optics and/or electromagnetic theory
- Experience performing optical simulations, preferably involving metamaterials/metasurfaces
- Practical experience with experiments in free-space optics, including laser beam alignment, manipulation and imaging
- Nano-fabrication experience or knowledge of nano-fabrication approaches and limitations
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to work independently as a researcher and effectively in a team.