dwp Design Excellence Prize
$1,250 + Paid Work Placement in Sydney and Bangkok
Usually, two (2) new Recipients will be awarded the Prize each year.
The aim of the dwp Design Excellence Prize is to encourage design excellence in the Bachelor of Design in Architecture degree and provide the opportunity for students to gain insight into the day-to-day operation of the (architectural) profession, both internationally and domestically.
The Prize is open to applicants annually, offering senior Architecture students the opportunity to receive a cash grant to support their studies as well as paid work placement with dwp in their Bangkok and Sydney offices.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Prize, a candidate must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full-time in in one of the following UTS degrees:
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture; or
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation; and
- Have successfully completed 96 credit points or greater in an eligible course; and
- Achieved a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 65 or above, with no fails; and
- Submit an extended curriculum vitae; and
- Submit a digital portfolio (max 10mb) made up of a maximum of five (5) x A1 landscape pages of display digital files, scans and/or photographs of original design work done by the applicant, including previous design studio submission/s that in their opinion presents their work best (compressed jpegs for web viewing); and
- Submit a one (1) page statement of what is good and/or lacking in each design (150-200 words for each design); and
- Attend an interview in person.
As evidenced by the submitted portfolio of work and interview:
- Exemplary design work
- Demonstration of a new/unique understanding or insight
- Innovation in design
- Ability to clearly communicate their design to others
- Ability to resolve design problems
Academic Performance (WAM at the time of selection) may be taken into consideration.
- In addition to the Prize, the Recipient will have an opportunity to undertake a two (2), three (3) month paid work placements at dwp. The work placements will take place at a mutually convenient time and arranged between the Recipient and dwp and available in two (2) locations:
- For a minimum of two (2) months and a maximum of three (3) months; and
- Ordinarily for five (5) days per week whilst in-country; and usually take place in Summer session (November to February), commencing in the year of the award.
- For a minimum of three (3) months; and
- Ordinarily for two (2) days per week during semester/s and up to five (5) days per week during semester breaks; and
- Will commence upon return from Thailand.
- Each Recipient is responsible for:
- Passports, visa and all necessary arrangements for overseas travel (including insurance); and
- Additional costs of living whilst in Thailand.
dwp will assist each recipient in the sourcing of accommodation, with the cost borne by the recipient.