Carl Nielsen Memorial Scholarship
$5,000 + 6 week unpaid placement at Nielsen Designs
Paid over 1 year
The Carl Nielsen Memorial Scholarship is offered in tribute to the impressive and significant legacy Carl made to Australian design. The award has been established to reward excellence in design and enable a senior UTS Product Design student an opportunity to participate in the day to day projects of Nielsen Design whilst working on their own project of interest.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in a single or combined Bachelor of Design in Product Design; and
- Enrolled or intending to enrol in the Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Product Design (C09059) the year after award; and
- Have successfully completed 120 credit points or greater in their undergraduate Product Design course at the time of the scholarship application; and
- Must have received a Weighted Average Mark of 75 or above; and
- All candidates must be available to attend an interview in person.
Subjects from the Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation will not count towards the required credit point limit.
As evidenced by the submitted portfolio of work and demonstrated in the interview:
- Quality of or exemplary design work
- Ability to clearly communicate their design to others
- Ability to provide a new/unique understanding or insight
- Innovativeness in design
- Ability to resolve design problems
- Academic Performance (WAM at the time of selection) may be taken into consideration.
To apply, invitees must:
- Submit a digital portfolio (max 10mb) including:
- Up to four pages of display digital files, scans and/or photographs (compressed jpegs for web viewing) of original design work done by the applicant, including previous design studio submission (s) that in their opinion presents their work best,
- one page written submission (150–200 words) that selects and identifies one of the submitted pieces of work, addressing the aims of the work and why it succeeded.
Need more information? Contact...
Please direct all enquiries to:
UTS Scholarships Office
Phone: +61 2 9514 2527
Carl Nielsen was an influential figure in Australian industrial design when the industry was in its infancy. He established one of the country’s first independent industrial design consultancies and was an important figure in design education and the formation of the Design Institute of Australia.